Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson FPC

Liquidated my M&Ps a few years ago (not 100% sure I would do it again but whatever) but if it can take or be adapted to take P320 mags I'm down for one for sure. I used to have a CX4 carbine and I loved the size of it but the grip opening wasn't comfortable for my hand. This is probably about the same length since they both have the mag in the grip but it also folds so that's handy. I was going to get a CMMG Banshee pistol but unless congress fixes this brace situation once-and-for-all that's not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Never say never but most likely not going to buy one.

1. It's new.
    2. No iron sights
    3. New mags to buy

In that order of importance

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I want to hate it...but I have too many M&P mags. If it proves reliable for the beta testers I'll buy one just to simply take advantage of mag compatibility with my chosen platform.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    2. No iron sights
    Did you know that a few years ago, the US Army came up with a new standard for attaching accessories? It's called Picatinny rail, and it appears that the industry is starting to coalesce around its use, including the FPC, which appears to have a Picatinny rail on the top side. I believe that there have been a few manufacturers that have made iron sights that can attach directly to this rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Did you know that a few years ago, the US Army came up with a new standard for attaching accessories? It's called Picatinny rail, and it appears that the industry is starting to coalesce around its use, including the FPC, which appears to have a Picatinny rail on the top side. I believe that there have been a few manufacturers that have made iron sights that can attach directly to this rail.
    Damn. Didn't know. Gotta look into that. Thanks!

I do however know that I want to buy a product I can immediately use. Just like I don't buy a car without wheels, although there's apparently companies that now make wheels.

Here's what's going to happen if I buy this as is. I'll bring it home, put it in the safe and 12 months later will sell it because I never got around to getting sights. In a year from now my reasoning for buying it will change or I'll want something else. I've bought too many projects to not know how this will end

The reciprocating charging handle is super weird. It has its own track, just like AR charging handle. It is not screwed into the bolt like on Ruger or driven into the bolt like on KelTec(s). So it does not need to be reciprocating at all, the design is set up for it not to reciprocate. And yet, they made it so the bolt drags it to the rear (you can see it stay to the rear when ammunition runs out).

I may be thinking too much about it, but it appears one of these late changes we see once in a while, like Ruger 57 mag release. In that Ruger, mags are set up for a fully ambidextrous release, like on XD. In fact, the release even has the little tilting lever inside, like on other Ruger pistols like RAP. But it's not ambidextrous! Why? My pure guess is, they made it fully ambi, but because the gun was so damn thin, there was no space to have two good ramps back-to-back. They were too steep and it was too hard to release. So someone quickly re-planned it with just one ramp taking the space of two, but not as steep.

The FPC was probably like that too. They set it up for a non-reciprocating handle first. But then something happened, so they added a plastic nub on the inside of the handle that engages the bolt in the opposite direction too. That is why you have to use a mallet to re-assemble FPC. I would really love to know just what that late-stage problem was.

I’d been planning on getting the Ruger with the Magpul stock but since I have around three dozen M&P magazines, I’ll see how this shakes out

Fixed 14.5" LOP? WTF was S&W thinking with that?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Product improved Sub-2000, is what I'm seeing. I see a market for it, but it is honestly probably isn't going to be for most people on this site. Because this site isn't about chasing the newest releases.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List