Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL NOW

I stopped drinking over ten years ago. Never had a problem with it from a moral perspective nor religious belief and certainly never drank enough to even come close to intoxication as an adult. I showed out in high school though.

I was fond of top shelf bourbon and whiskey. Decided I would spend that money on ammo instead as shooting was and is far more enjoyable.

After C19 pneumonia (2 separate hospitalizations) , I still can’t smell alcohol based things so I guess taste would be altered as well.

Regards.

Speaking of alcoholic families…. My parents rarely ever had a drink, but my family was/is filled with alcoholics. My brother was a heavy drug and alcohol user from an early age, and seeing his ability to function while wasted scared the hell out of me! He was a nightmare to live with, and I’m amazed he’s made it into his 60’s.

I’m generally very extroverted: joking, laughing, telling stories, and I could see where booze could turn me into a buffoon.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    2 drinks over the course of an hour is significantly less cognitive impairment than working a double shift. It's not going to turn you into a zombie potato.
    In that case, is it 5 o’clock yet? 🤣🎊

To be faaaaaiiiir, it is worth calling out here that if beer is your thing check out Athletic Brewing Company's line of non-alcoholic beers. They have lite, they have an ale called Golden which is my favorite and a couple of IPAs. All non-alcoholic.

With a fraction of the calories. Like I think the IPAs are like 65 calories vs 200+ for normal IPAs.

And best of all, if you taste test them, you'll judge them to be VERY good beers. Not compromises, not O'Douls. But damn good IPAs for example and they're non-alcoholic and low cal.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@JHC, I was pretty surprised when I first tried the "beers" from Athletic, as a formerly snobbish hop-head and IPA guy those things satisfied the taste pretty well.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I grew up in a home where alcohol was enjoyed but never more than 2 drinks on any one occasion, and not on a regular basis.

I never found drinking to be enjoyable. I never liked the taste. I never liked having reduced capabilities.

I have known some true alcoholics. Seeing what their love of alcohol did to them would motivate anyone to stay away from it. To the extent that anyone might be recovering from alcoholism, I would not want to damage that recovery.

I do not care what anyone else does, as long as they are not driving drunk, handling guns while drunk, or otherwise endangering someone else while drunk. It is a free country, and if someone else enjoys drinking glorified yeast excrement, then go for it.

From a religious standpoint, this position paper is as good as any that can be found.

https://ag.org/Beliefs/Position-Pape...e-from-Alcohol

Site Supporter
    I used to love a good beer. Unfortunately getting COVID has since made consumption of alcohol a deeply unpleasant experience. I liken it to having a hangover first, without being buzzed.

Oh well. I only briefly miss the way it made me more comfortable/creative when cooking.

I made some delicious food after two beers back when I could still tolerate it. But at this point, it's more money I don't waste on alcohol, less time I'd spend at a bar, and I tend to feel much better the next day.

But whoever wants to drink, fine.

Just don't let me see you at my hospital. I lost count of the alcohol addicts who we discharged as perfectly rational sane people, but during their hospital stay were so delirious they'd take a swig out of their urinal or I'd walk past their room to see then squatting to take a shit in a trash can.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I’m totally having a kiwi mexican lager with my spicy korean tacos as I read this thread after work. Given that I am in the arts, I have seen up close, over and over again, how severe alcoholism can really fuck up someone’s life. Family, career, health—up to death (including my *younger* sister who died of liver failure), you name it, I’ve seen it.

Fortunately—in the same way that some people shouldn’t own guns, but others are fine—whatever genetic and emotional deficiencies may be rampant in my own catalog, issues with alcohol are not one of them. I drink regularly and often, but seldom more than two craft pints or two boulevardiers at a time, and so far it hasn’t hampered my career or marriage to date. Should that change, I’ll drop the habit like a hot rock, but for now, cheers!

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Live in a home with an abusive alcoholic father. That should be about all the incentive you need to avoid abusing alcohol in the future. It's a lesson that, for me at least, has lasted a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I used to love a good beer. Unfortunately getting COVID has since made consumption of alcohol a deeply unpleasant experience. I liken it to having a hangover first, without being buzzed.

Oh well. I only briefly miss the way it made me more comfortable/creative when cooking.

I made some delicious food after two beers back when I could still tolerate it. But at this point, it's more money I don't waste on alcohol, less time I'd spend at a bar, and I tend to feel much better the next day.

But whoever wants to drink, fine.

Just don't let me see you at my hospital. I lost count of the alcohol addicts who we discharged as perfectly rational sane people, but during their hospital stay were so delirious they'd take a swig out of their urinal or I'd walk past their room to see then squatting to take a shit in a trash can.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Huh. That’s interesting. I wonder if that’s “a thing” i.e. covid and alcohol side effects?

User Tag List