Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: QUIT DRINKING ALCOHOL NOW

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    No.

Seriously, prohibitionists of any sort are the worst. "Don't smoke, don't drink, don't own machine guns, don't fornicate" are all branches from the same tree.
    And not all at the same time. Well, I wouldn't make it a rule...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And not all at the same time. Well, I wouldn't make it a rule...
    I feel like drinking, smoking, owning a machinegun, and fornicating at the same time are all acceptable.

I'm not sure I'd fire the machinegun while partaking in the other three...but to each their own.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    The first time I had alcohol was in college. A friend had a bottle of port, and I drank a couple of small glasses. After the second glass, I wondered how I was supposed to turn the strange feeling off. That was it for me. It always amazes me when parents say, “My kids went to bed, and we had a few drinks.” What the hell happens when your kids have an emergency?
    2 drinks over the course of an hour is significantly less cognitive impairment than working a double shift. It's not going to turn you into a zombie potato.

My alcohol intake is roughly 1 drink a week. I think I'll be fine.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As a middle aged man who has never been drunk due to a heavy fundamentalist religious upbringing and indoctrination which I am now free of, you guys are helping my tentative decision not to start imbibing.....

Well maybe I'll try a white claw one of these days...But just one. I've been ruined for anything not remotely close to soft drinks. [emoji38]

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    2 drinks over the course of an hour is significantly less cognitive impairment than working a double shift. It's not going to turn you into a zombie potato.

My alcohol intake is roughly 1 drink a week. I think I'll be fine.
    Well, that's just like your opinion, man.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    No.

Seriously, prohibitionists of any sort are the worst. "Don't smoke, don't drink, don't own machine guns, don't fornicate" are all branches from the same tree.
    I'm a member of one of those religions that isn't big on fornication and I still liked this. Also, alcohol technically occupies a very central place in that religion. Christ didn't choose milk or water to become His Blood.

I'm obviously fine with anyone who doesn't like booze or its effects not drinking it, but the idea that mankind should just wholesale abandon fermented refreshments is silly. About as silly as "stop enjoying celebratory rich meals" - feasting is a huge part of our collective human cultural history. The cigars aren't going anywhere either.

Site Supporter
    I never drank alcohol before college. All my adult life I have been able to quit cold turkey when I wanted to. Six months, a year, two years, no problem. When my wife was in nursing school and I was essentially a single parent with three kids under 9 (two under 5) that I went for a checkup and learned my blood pressure and liver enzymes were less than good. My doctor warned about tapering, rather than quitting cold turkey to avoid neuro issues that could involve heart attack or stroke. Given the family history it made sense.

Last year, at 50, I decided things were getting out of hand and decided to taper. It sucked. I had hand shakes. Anxiety, sleep trouble (more than usual), lethargy.

This helped...

https://fitrecovery.com/alcohol-with...ting-drinking/

I am not quite a teetotaler, yet. I drink while out with friends, but limit myself to two, pretty successfully. I drink at home with the Mrs. on special occasions only. I can see myself not drinking again, but have cut out the most disturbing behaviors, and if I can maintain this I won't have to completely quit. But if things get serious again and quitting sucks as much as it did the last time, I am sure I am done.

pat

I must metabolize the stuff really well because after an evening of even up to 3 nice pours of whiskey I still fly out of bed at 0300-0400 to make coffee and start a ruck. I've done some temporary "fasts" from it and didn't notice some super change to my day.

Recently after a major social event with significantly more than 3 pours, the following early Sunday morning I was out on the range and shot several PR's on a 25 yard 300pt aggregate and speedy stuff to the headbox at 7 yards.

I've never noticed a cortisol anxiety "hangover" but I'll keep an eye out for it tomorrow morning.

OTOH I'm all for some/most/everyone else kicking the stuff if that's what they want.

In fact, that was last Sunday. But I will admit I'd rather not consume as much as last Saturday. But see, I'd bought a double of the House's best for a fine young fellow that I'd met and then at the end of the evening his bride re-paid the favor with a double of the same and I was sort of honor bound. But that one was the one too many to be honest. Didn't hurt the next day though.

Name:  287 9x.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  43.0 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I stopped going to bars in my early teens! An alcoholic father and uncles dragged me in and out of gin joints since I was old enough to walk. That turned me off to booze at a very young and impressionable age. It was a shitty way to grow up but it has saved me a great deal of money never spending one red cent on alcohol.

I come from a family of alcoholics, so I do try to be careful about how much I drink, if and when I do.

Now it's typically one serving with a meal, and that only when on vacation. I used to sip a dram of good Scotch on Friday evenings, but can't afford the stuff I like anymore.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List