View Poll Results: Do you carry a pistol mounted RDS or do you carry with only irons?

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol mounted RDS

105 44.87%
  • Iron sights

129 55.13%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Poll: RDS or Irons on your edc

I had a Sig P320 RXP with Romeo1 Pro Optic on it, great for shooting without my glasses on.... but when I wore my glasses the flur of the red dot happened and nothing would help refine that red dot like it should be. I tried the pistol without and hated those co-witness sights. sold it.

My Sig P226r Extreme and Ruger LC9s both just have iron sights... K.I.S.S. method works best for myself.

My EDC is a revolver though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Dusty Stone; 01-25-2023 at 09:05 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Stone View Post
    I had a Sig P320 RXP with Romeo1 Pro Optic on it, great for shooting without my glasses on.... but when I wore my glasses the flur of the red dot happened and nothing would help refine that red dot like it should be. I tried the pistol without and hated those co-witness sights. sold it.

My Sig P226r Extreme and Ruger LC9s both just have iron sights... K.I.S.S. method works best for myself.

My EDC is a revolver though.
    If the red dot is a blue with your glasses it may be a sign it’s time for an eye exam.

The quick check to ensure it isn’t the optic is to take a picture of the dot with your phone. If the picture of the dot is good it’s going to be your eyes.

Site Supporter
    I currently carry an iron-sighted gun, but carried a 19 with an RMR in 2016-17. Alas, I sold it to make some quick cash when I spent a couple weeks between jobs.

I recognize that dots are the future, and I'll probably end up with another at some point. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away with irons.

Quote Originally Posted by TDoor View Post
    While I really, really see better performance with RDS-equipped handguns, I have found they make concealment difficult or impossible in my work clothes, and I think that's probably true for the majority of people. To that end I don't even train with dots currently.

People will sing the praises of tiny, microcompact handguns for EDC, and then throw an additional inch of height on them. I suppose the smaller guns may give people more space to work a dot into concealment, but I'm not feeling charitable and I'm inclined to think that many of the people (outside of this forum) insisting handgun RDS are mandatory don't actually carry them all the time.

In my opinion, there's no question that the RDS is the superior sight in all performance areas. But since most people have more problems with failing to consistently carry rather than failing to make hits at defensive distances, I think I'd rather see other people focus on better concealment solutions over sighting solutions. For me, until I find a more friendly work environment, the choice is clear.
    Excellent post.

Carry rotation for me is a Glock 42, 48 and a 19. All have Holosun's on them. NOW... its because I have bionic vision, synthetic lenses due to cataracts, which works amazing past 3 feet. I can run irons fine in sun light - but any low light situation its irresponsible to rely on them.

I love dots. My shooting ability went up 35% instantly. But I agree with many. Irons would work just fine for MOST civilian problems. I wish I could still use them because I'd rather not need a dot on my little 42.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

While I really, really see better performance with RDS-equipped handguns, I have found they make concealment difficult or impossible in my work clothes, and I think that's probably true for the majority of people. To that end I don't even train with dots currently.

People will sing the praises of tiny, microcompact handguns for EDC, and then throw an additional inch of height on them. I suppose the smaller guns may give people more space to work a dot into concealment, but I'm not feeling charitable and I'm inclined to think that many of the people (outside of this forum) insisting handgun RDS are mandatory don't actually carry them all the time.

In my opinion, there's no question that the RDS is the superior sight in all performance areas. But since most people have more problems with failing to consistently carry rather than failing to make hits at defensive distances, I think I'd rather see other people focus on better concealment solutions over sighting solutions. For me, until I find a more friendly work environment, the choice is clear.
    What position are you carrying in? Thankfully, I haven't found that adding red dots to my carry guns has made any noticeable difference in concealment for me in the appendix position.

Quote Originally Posted by RennBaer View Post
    What position are you carrying in? Thankfully, I haven't found that adding red dots to my carry guns has made any noticeable difference in concealment for me in the appendix position.

It makes it considerably harder for me in appendix. I can carry a g19 sized gun appendix and not print at all with irons. I add a dot and that prints. I've tried different claws, different wedges, and for whatever reason it either looks like I have a side ways L for a belly button or a mail box. Going to revisit dots later but for now I've moved back to irons personally. I do not regret for a minute the time I spent shooting and carrying red dots though. It has made me a significantly better iron sight shooter and both eye open/target focused shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    It makes it considerably harder for me in appendix. Bi can carry a g19 sized gun appendix and not print at all with irons. I add a dot and that prints. I've tried different claws, different wedges, and for whatever reason it either looks like I have a side ways L for a belly button or a mail box. Going to revisit dots later but for now I've moved back to irons personally. I do not regret for a minute the time I spent shooting and carrying red dots though. It has made me a significantly better iron sight shooter and both eye open/target focused shooting
    This is the exact same experience I had.

Quote Originally Posted by RennBaer View Post
    I carry between AIWB 12:30-1 with most pistols, but that's really secondary to my context in importance. I am limited to tucked in button-ups and untucked polos, and I'm in an environment where getting made could cost me my job. I also have a fairly small waist. I can conceal a 19 with a dot all day long in my casual clothes, but I've reached a point in my career where that's maybe one or two days per week.

Dots are a challenge for me in high-pressure AIWB contexts because they add height in the opposite direction from the grip. So all the concealment features my holsters use to tuck the grip are causing that sight to cant outward aggressively. It prints pretty bad unless most guns are at 1. And unfortunately, very few pairs of pants have belt loops adequately spaced for that. It's easier with smaller guns where i can afford less grip tuck, but then we're getting into stuff that is very difficult to draw without a compromised grip.

This is all pretty specific to me. But I think the general context of a high-pressure concealment environment applies to the majority of workplaces in this country. I've never identified anybody else in any workplace who carries, and I'm always looking. Maybe they're just that good, or they'd be gone anyway.
    In any case, if your employer is able to stop you from carrying practically or lawfully, the 2A may as well not exist for you. And for the majority of working Americans, that is the case. And I think all the marketing of "tactical" stuff in the industry distracts enthusiasts from this problem, which I'd argue is a way more important 2A front than mag bans, braces etc. /rant
    Last edited by TDoor; 01-26-2023 at 11:24 AM.

I carry between AIWB 12:30-1 with most pistols, but that's really secondary to my context in importance. I am limited to tucked in button-ups and untucked polos, and I'm in an environment where getting made could cost me my job. I also have a fairly small waist. I can conceal a 19 with a dot all day long in my casual clothes, but I've reached a point in my career where that's maybe one or two days per week.

Dots are a challenge for me in high-pressure AIWB contexts because they add height in the opposite direction from the grip. So all the concealment features my holsters use to tuck the grip are causing that sight to cant outward aggressively. It prints pretty bad unless most guns are at 1. And unfortunately, very few pairs of pants have belt loops adequately spaced for that. It's easier with smaller guns where i can afford less grip cant, but then we're getting into stuff that is very difficult to draw without a compromised grip.

This is all pretty specific to me. But I think the general context of a high-pressure concealment environment applies to the majority of workplaces in this country. I've never identified anybody else in any workplace who carries, and I'm always looking. Maybe they're just that good, or they'd be gone anyway.
    In any case, if your employer is able to stop you from carrying practically or lawfully, the 2A may as well not exist for you. And for the majority of working Americans, that is the case. And I think all the marketing of "tactical" stuff in the industry distracts enthusiasts from this problem, which I'd argue is a way more important 2A front than mag bans, braces etc. /rant

^Good posts, especially for folks like you who have specific workplace/clothing requirements that drive the need for zero chance of being made. I've been there with an NPE employer. Fortunately I'm now remote and it has no bearing on what I wear or how I carry...nor does my AO.

If I were still in a strict NPE with limited work-wear options to conceal, I'd be right where you are.

User Tag List