Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry homesteader 9mm semi auto

Mid-placement of the rear peep like that is perfect IMHO. Some of y'all clearly ain't -3.25 before correction in their dominant eye. AKA some of us now on the downward slope towards Old Fart status, with the eyesight to match, appreciate the rear being where it is. Maybe it ain't ideal for shooting the ass hairs off a squirrel at 100 yards, but it's sure a lot better then NOT being able to see the rear sight at all!

My ARs are set up similarly; rear sight is forward of the optic, otherwise is completely disappears if it's closer to me.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Mid-placement of the rear peep like that is perfect IMHO. Some of y'all clearly ain't -3.25 before correction in their dominant eye. AKA some of us now on the downward slope towards Old Fart status, with the eyesight to match, appreciate the rear being where it is. Maybe it ain't ideal for shooting the ass hairs off a squirrel at 100 yards, but it's sure a lot better then NOT being able to see the rear sight at all!

My ARs are set up similarly; rear sight is forward of the optic, otherwise is completely disappears if it's closer to me.
    Valid point. I'm in that category. Some years ago Skinner Sights offered a simple peep to use the existing dovetail on older Win 94s, one of which I had. It was then mid placed and I shot fine with it out to my purpose of deer to 100 yds. I can't find that sight on Skinner's site anymore.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I dig it. But I wish the mag release was behind the magwell like an AK or MP5. And why not make it able to cowitness the irons and optic?
    The irons stay nice and low, this way. Why deal with optic-level sight offsets at bunny ranges if you don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    ...Henry makes their own 5 and 10 round magazines. Maybe they’ll make a New Mexico 9 rounder. 5 rounds of 9mm in a $900 rifle is a lot of “Meh!”
    Unless you live in a state that limits magazine fed semi-autos to five round capacity in their hunting regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I dig it. But I wish the mag release was behind the magwell like an AK or MP5
    I like it being completely guarded. You're in snow up to your crotch despite snowshoes as you work your way through bramble and spruce up the side of a ridge in pursuit of varying hare. The dog is impatient and you haven't had lunch yet. After hearing the gentle pop of your bumped magazine relese dropping the mag under a fathom of January powder, you grit your teeth as you bite off your glove and plunge your arm in the hole.

At least you noticed on the spot, this time. Not two miles after the loss like the last one.

Bonus points for the threaded muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Unless you live in a state that limits magazine fed semi-autos to five round capacity in their hunting regulations.
    To tell the truth I didn’t even consider intentionally hunting with a PCC. Rabbits are pretty much an extinct species here and I haven’t squirrel hunted in years. Plus I can use a 50 round drum under our game laws.

At 64 I can use a receiver mounted aperture sight, something mounted half way down the barrel becomes a mystery unless it’s an optic. FWIW An aperture near your eye should disappear when you’re looking through it and not limit your field of view, all the middle of the barrel peeps just look like a clump of metal to me.

I’m agnostic about the mag release as long as it’s not prone to dumping mags unexpectedly.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    At 64 I can use a receiver mounted aperture sight, something mounted half way down the barrel becomes a mystery unless it’s an optic. FWIW An aperture near your eye should disappear when you’re looking through it and not limit your field of view, all the middle of the barrel peeps just look like a clump of metal to me.
    I have a few years on you, and my days of "any old sight will do" are well in the past.

I can use a barrel mounted rear sight if it is something fairly broad and not too fine; think trad shallow "V" express-type rifle sights and similar. Aperture rear sights that are more than about 5 inches or so from my eye will not work for me without a serious amount of struggling.

This Henry Homesteader would require some change for me to use comfortably or quickly with iron sights. The front sight looks like a one-piece ramp/blade, so that tells me "it is what it is" as far as the front is concerned; the rear looks like an XS Express ghost ring rear, and I am not aware of an replacement "insert" that converts one of these to a shallow "V", a "U" or even a square notch. Yes, I could use this combo in a pinch, but it wouldn't be pretty and I would run my expletive tank dry.

OTOH, a red dot or compact low-power scope would make the irons moot except if the optic fails.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I want to be excited, but I look at the LOP of that stock and sigh.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Adapters for Glock, SIG Sauer P320 and Smith & Wesson M&P magazines is a nice touch.
    I was interested when I saw it could take Glock mags, but the M&P mag capability has me sold. I don't need more guns, but...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I want to be excited, but I look at the LOP of that stock and sigh.
    Shotgunners will look at that LOP and the tang safety and salivate. I'm guessing this isn't being marketed to guys like you and me who square up because we're so used to wearing body armor...

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Shotgunners will look at that LOP and the tang safety and salivate. I'm guessing this isn't being marketed to guys like you and me who square up because we're so used to wearing body armor...
    ...and doesn't take into account small framed shooters like women and teenagers.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List