Thread: So much information...

So much information...

I will be making my first AR purchase by the end of the year. Based on what I have read on this site I have narrowed it down (I think) to two choices. Colt or DD. Based on reputation and initial cost they seem to be a good place to start. That being said, what kind of configurations are recommended for beginners? My initial thought is iron sights and go... maybe a rear sight that flips down, but other than that I don't see the need in spending the extra money right off the bat.

Any recommendations on initial setup? Any sources for good information that I can read through? Any recommendations at all? Primary intended role of this rifle is the day that I hope never comes, what ever it may be.

Keith

Things you'll want:

Spare mags

Quality ammunition

2 point sling (Blue Force Gear makes a good one)

BUIS (back up iron sights, Daniel Defense makes good ones at a decent price point)

Weapons mounted light

Carbine class from a reputable industry professional

I'd write in more detail but I'm heading out on mission now. I'm sure others will chime in.

Hi Keith!

I was in the same spot as you not to long ago. I started this thread:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=3090

and got a TON of really good info. The above link is a great place to start.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Thanks for the link to the thread. I started reading last night, it will take some time to get through, but that looks like a really good place to start. Thanks again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    I will be making my first AR purchase by the end of the year. Based on what I have read on this site I have narrowed it down (I think) to two choices. Colt or DD. Based on reputation and initial cost they seem to be a good place to start. That being said, what kind of configurations are recommended for beginners? My initial thought is iron sights and go... maybe a rear sight that flips down, but other than that I don't see the need in spending the extra money right off the bat.

Any recommendations on initial setup? Any sources for good information that I can read through? Any recommendations at all? Primary intended role of this rifle is the day that I hope never comes, what ever it may be.

Keith
    I think you're on track. I strongly agree with the idea of learning to shoot irons before you worry about optics.

I'd suggest NOT putting accessories (vfg, lights, etc.) on the gun until you've learned how to shoot it. (i.e. at least one good training class, and a couple thousand rounds of practice) This is so that you can figure out where your support hand needs to be for best accuracy & control. Once you've done this, you can later configure the weapon so it compliments this. You might even find you don't really need most of the crap that some people hang on carbines.

One exception would be that if you might need to put your rifle into service as a HD weapon immediately, then by all means put a light on it ASAP, but don't paint yourself into a corner by picking one that can't be easily moved or reconfigured. (Consider a Surefire G2 in a 1" scope ring or VTAC mount as an easy starter setup, and take it off the gun so it's not in the way when you're learning initial marksmanship.)

IMHO, the flip down rear sight is only necessary or even desireable if you're going to use magnified optics. For a red dot, I like the rear sight up all the time, so if there's a problem with the optic, I can go to irons instantly. So if you buy a DD carbine that comes with the DD 1.5 rear sight already on it, consider leaving it alone.

Do get a good sling, as Fred suggested. If the carbine comes with mounting points already on it, just use those for now. When you take your carbine class, you'll probably see other configurations, and get a sense of whether you might later want QD's or mid-mount front swivels or whatever.

HTH,
    Dave

Before you do anything, get a good training class.

Colt, BCM, LaRue 16" DI are all solid rifles and we be my first choices. Noveske, LMT, and DD can also make good ones.

You will need a sling, RDS (Aimpoint), simple Surefire flashlight, along with some good magazines--USGI or Magpul work well. You will also need decent ammo--55 gr M193 FMJ equivalent is just fine for training (Black Hills, Asym, Federal, Hornady, Speer, Win, even Rem should be fine).

Then get more training.

After that practice....a lot.

I used to be more militant about sticking with irons before adding a RDS (as that is how I was introduced to the rifle), but lately I've come to recognize the benefits of a RDS for new shooters. By all means, learn to use the irons, ensure your BUIS is zero'd and that you are proficient in their use. But considering that an Aimpoint PRO is easily found for less than $400, one would be on my 'short-list' to add to a new rifle. A quality optic greatly expands the utility of any rifle.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    Any recommendations on initial setup?
    A good sling, a good optic, a good mount for the optic, and a good light.

A Surefire G2 with an LED element works very well as a carbine light. The X300 works well, too...although it's more expensive.
    I prefer Aimpoint optics because of their simplicity, durability, and excellent battery life.
    I prefer a quick adjust two point sling of some sort.

Other than that, training.

You should be able to put those things on a rifle fairly easily and they should be readily adaptable to whatever changes you may want to make down the road as you get more experience. Avoiding putting every proprietary doo-dad imaginable on a rifle right now is good advice for beginners as they're not really in a position to know whether or not the BAD lever or a Redi-Mag is for them yet.

Any sources for good information that I can read through?
    Read through the carbine basics thread for starters. Look through the threads on optics as well...as there's a lot of great information in them that's coming from people who know of what they speak.

EDIT - irons vs. optics

Obviously the answer is to learn both, but an RDS is simple to start out and get up and running with. The RDS is a more efficient sighting method under a wide variety of conditions than irons and is really the only way to go in low light...so I'd make getting a good RDS a priority rather than waiting until you've mastered irons.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 10-31-2012 at 07:52 AM.

User Tag List