Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Half-cock @ start for TDA guns

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I saw that; they walked that back at the last moment, right?
    kinda sorta, basically anyone who sent in pics of the their grips got them approved, except for one guy, my buddy Sam. He got there and he'd modified his Eemmantech grip a bit and they wouldn't let him use it. He had to borrow a Henning grip for the left side from me. So dumb
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I have no dog in this fight - my competition days are WAY behind me. However, it strikes me as just shy of criminally negligent for any organization to insist that a firearm be carried in a manner that is specifically identified by the manufacturer as unsafe.

How about they just require a decocker to shoot DA/SA, then we don't need to have competitors lowering hammers on live rounds anymore either...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    How about they just require a decocker to shoot DA/SA, then we don't need to have competitors lowering hammers on live rounds anymore either...
    Sure, let’s disqualify what may be 33% or more of the currently used pistols for production and carry optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Sure, let’s disqualify what may be 33% or more of the currently used pistols for production and carry optics.
    Is it just CZ? The tanfo's have a firing pin block. I know Beretta used to, not sure about the performance. I'm sure a decocker requirement would also result in guns that barely decocked.

Probably better to require a firing pin safety. The CZ 75B has one.

Seems absurd to me sometimes. CZ makes guns with no decocker and no firing pin safety specifically for a competition, competitors buy it, then complain that the rules need to change because their gun is unsafe. Maybe the gun should get fixed.

Is it just CZ? The tanfo's have a firing pin block. I know Beretta used to, not sure about the performance. I'm sure a decocker requirement would also result in guns that barely decocked.

Probably better to require a firing pin safety. The CZ 75B has one.

Seems absurd to me sometimes. CZ makes guns with no decocker and no firing pin safety specifically for a competition, competitors buy it, then complain that the rules need to change because their gun is unsafe. Maybe the gun should get fixed.

Uh, the guns meet the rules currently, firing pin blocks aren't required, nor are decockers. The complaining here is about those guns and making a rule change to disallow them. Which would be stupid, as they represent more than half of the guns used in those divisions.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

This is a non-problem. Lowering the hammer manually on a TDA gun is one of the easiest and safest things we do in the sport.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Probably better to require a firing pin safety. The CZ 75B has one..
    If this is a safety requirement, then logically it need be applied across all divisions, in which case you’d essentially disqualify 95%+ of the firearms used in USPSA competition.

BTW, my carry pistol (EDC X9) does not have a firing pin safety and will pass common drop tests.

I don't understand why this is still an issue. A person died because the BOD can't delete one freaking sentence (in red below) from the rulebook that makes zero difference competitively (see blue text below).

APPENDIX D7 –Carry Optics Division
    Special conditions:

1.Only Double Action, Double Action/Single Action, and Safe Action/Striker Fired handguns are allowed, and must be on the approved list. When in the ready conditions as specified under 8.1, a gun with an external hammer must be hammer down. A hammer is considered to be in the "hammer down" position when the hammer is placed there by pulling the trigger while manually lowering the hammer (manually decocking) or by activating the decocking lever if present. Manually decocking to the half-cocked position is not allowed and will result in the competitor being moved to Open division.

2.Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal. If a decocking lever is installed and used, the term fully decocked is the position where the hammer rests once the decocking lever has been used. Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half-cocked position is not allowed. Manually decocked hammers must be fully down
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I’m glad to see this still being discussed. As mentioned in the OP, if you feel that DA/SA guns should be allowed to be lowered to the half-cock (aka safety-notch as some OFMs call it) then please email your Area Director or the entire Board (board@uspsa.org) to voice your opinion on this matter.

User Tag List