Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: TAURUS 856 TORO- Red dot optic equipped revolver.

Can you help me clarify my understanding?

If your grip is the same whether firing SA or DA, in what way does "what the gun does during that time" differ?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Can you help me clarify my understanding?

If your grip is the same whether firing SA or DA, in what way does "what the gun does during that time" differ?
    If your grip is legitimately perfectly identical whether shooting DA or SA, you don't need to worry about this.

So no fear and drive on!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

For me at least, a good DA trigger stroke involves muscles doing different things versus than the simple press of a single action.

DA demands some gripping to keep the sights aligned while muscles are flexing through a longer range. When I'm doing it well, I'm also focusing on follow-through, which means there's still finger tension during recoil.

With SA, it's more of an align/press/bang. The muscles in the hand may not be as tensed. This is especially true if the tension is making it harder to steady the sights.

The result may be different levels of grip/squeeze/tenseness when the gun recoils, thus different amounts of barrel rise before the bullet leaves the barrel.

I'm usually shooting .357 in a revolver so it all kinda requires holding on firmly. I could see it being different for different calibers, guns, and people, though.

I didn't really "get" any of this until I noticed that my sight adjustments held true for rounds of similar velocities more than for rounds of similar weights. In other words, a 158-grain .357 at 1300 fps and a 140-grain .357 at 1300 fps would both hit to the sights. A 158-grain .38 at 800-ish fps would be way high.

Does anyone have a training load worked up for one of these, preferably with BE86?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I’m using 4.6 grains of BE-86 under a coated 158-grain LSWC. That’s the max standard pressure load. IIRC, it runs ~750 fps from my S&W M49. It burns pretty cleanly and gives good accuracy. It runs just over 800 fps from my 3” M10.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I’m using 4.6 grains of BE-86 under a coated 158-grain LSWC. That’s the max standard pressure load. IIRC, it runs ~750 fps from my S&W M49. It burns pretty cleanly and gives good accuracy. It runs just over 800 fps from my 3” M10.
    Oh cool, because I haz 158s. I was under the impression that these liked lighter bullets. Thank you!
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Oh cool, because I haz 158s. I was under the impression that these liked lighter bullets. Thank you!
    To be clear, I don't have a Taurus, this is just a BE-86 load I run in my M49. I'd just load up a few and see where they shoot from your gun before you get too crazy.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Getting there.

Name:  F301936F-8EF0-4967-BC82-4F1BBBC85C2E.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  36.7 KB
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Getting there.

Looking good!

Dumb question and I apologize if you've already mentioned it and I just missed it.
    But did you order your 856 and have it delivered? Or was it a local purchase?
    I ask only because I'd like handle one first and haven't seen one in the wild in East Tennessee yet.

I definitely have the "wants" for one of these and would enjoy working up a handload to make it happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Looking good!

Dumb question and I apologize if you've already mentioned it and I just missed it.
    But did you order your 856 and have it delivered? Or was it a local purchase?
    I ask only because I'd like handle one first and haven't seen one in the wild in East Tennessee yet.

I definitely have the "wants" for one of these and would enjoy working up a handload to make it happy.
    I’ll just say that I’ve got friends in low places 😁
    #RESIST

User Tag List