Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Provisional Limited Optics

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    5 Division Master, and 3x High Master at Nats. I’d have been a National Champion but I kept losing to some guy name Miculek. It’s disheartening that some people can’t take mild ribbing and instead feel like it’s a personal attack.

But anyway before Clusterfrack decides that I’m bullying again or whatever, the actual point here was that the 1 second per point down is far closer to the spirit of IDPA than half a second. It forces people to really be accountable for their shots, or as BJ Norris said “you’ve got to aim your ass off and be fast” but he wouldn’t know anything, would he?
    My post was merely to show I shot more than twice. Your post has turned this into a measuring contest. I never questioned your skills or experience. And then you throw BJ’s name out, so clearly you only feel that people with skill have any right to an opinion. There are shooters at that same level that disagree with him.

Also, the 1 second rule in no way meets the spirit of the rule. Speed matters in a defensive scenario. Simple scenario, 1 target, 3 rounds.

Shooter 1: 2 seconds, down 3 = 5 seconds
    Shooter 2: 4 seconds, down zero = 4 seconds.

In the above scenario, shooter 2 didn’t get the first shot off until after shooter 1 completed. So shooter two wins the match, but would likely lose the fight.

Also, there is no penalty in Vickers scoring for completely missing a target, so long as you make the shot up. Until all stages are limited, the accountability aspect is flawed.

You say it was a mild ribbing, which I would have accepted, but your follow up post says otherwise.

Anyway, any more recent updates on that new LO division?

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    There will never be a 15 round limit for any division while RO's only have 10 fingers and wear shoes. Just accept it. It's 10 or less, or a mag measurement, and no one wants to make a new mag gauge so there are 2 choices for mag length.
    IPSC manages with 15, but I do understand it could be harder to officiate.

Of course you do remind me of a fad, I think around 10 years ago, when shooters started wearing those toed shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    IPSC manages with 15, but I do understand it could be harder to officiate.

Of course you do remind me of a fad, I think around 10 years ago, when shooters started wearing those toed shoes.
    I think in the modern era of bluetooth timers and ability to review, a quick glance at the shot timer to see the round count at the mag drop could obviate this, no manual counting necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Anyway, any more recent updates on that new LO division?
    A bunch of local guys did a podcast with Yeemin. I concluded that the proposal was initially purely driven by the industry trends, without any indication that there was any sort of discussion about underlying philosophy of a change. That was the negative part.
    The positive part was like it seems that they want to have some objective metrcs followed before ironing out the final, permanent, rule set.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    You need better shooters locally! Typically our fast guys are really fast and are 75%+ alphas.
    Good points!

Since this is all a game to me, as I walk like Long John Silver through a match, I calculated the percent As (58 total shots on 3 close in, indoor stages), plus the number of Cs, Ds and Ms for the top ten.

I will add as a standard for DA STREETZ: The Texas LTC shooting test passing score is 175 points out of 250 points or a score of 70%

% A #D #M

60 4
    66 3
    72 1
    48 4
    69 1
    56 6
    63 2
    62 6 2

So that's a decent point by JCN or GJM about local folks. Since I haven't shot a major match around here, I dunno.

I shot 52 As, 6 Cs with a time about twice the average. Turtle. I told the SO, my goal is good hits and if it was just shooting, I'm ok. I wouldn't be happy with some of the percents I posted. Yes, Cs might be disabling, blah, blah, especially, the higher center ones but when taping, most are to the sides. Did I say this? Forgot - Gen 4 G17 with Glock factory sights, I like the big white dot. Never got around to changing it before I moved and it went into FFL storage.

Don't want to start DA STREETZ argument but IDPA supposedly is more street oriented (laughing at myself).
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 02-21-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    A bunch of local guys did a podcast with Yeemin. I concluded that the proposal was initially purely driven by the industry trends, without any indication that there was any sort of discussion about underlying philosophy of a change. That was the negative part.
    The positive part was like it seems that they want to have some objective metrcs followed before ironing out the final, permanent, rule set.
    That's a significant improvement from the past administration.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Good points!

Since this is all a game to me, as I walk like Long John Silver through a match, I calculated the percent As (58 total shots on 3 close in, indoor stages), plus the number of Cs, Ds and Ms for the top ten.

I will add as a standard for DA STREETZ: The Texas LTC shooting test passing score is 175 points out of 250 points or a score of 70%

% A #D #M

60 4
    66 3
    72 1
    48 4
    69 1
    56 6
    63 2
    62 6 2

So that's a decent point by JCN or GJM about local folks. Since I haven't shot a major match around here, I dunno.

I shot 52 As, 6 Cs with a time about twice the average. Turtle. I told the SO, my goal is good hits and if it was just shooting, I'm ok. I wouldn't be happy with some of the percents I posted. Yes, Cs might be disabling, blah, blah, especially, the higher center ones but when taping, most are to the sides.

Don't want to start DA STREETZ argument but IDPA supposedly is more street oriented (laughing at myself).
    A few thoughts.

1) USPSA is a game that establishes overall placement on hit factor not the most alphas.

2) to do well at most matches, you need to shoot lots of Alphas and not many penalties. As Brian Enos said, (on most targets) it does t take any longer to shoot an Alpha than a Charlie. I know that shooting steel, my times in eight inch plates will be almost identical to times on ten inch plates. If you are shooting the center of the plate, it shouldn't matter.

3) if you personally want to focus on a high level of accuracy in matches, that is perfectly reasonable. We all know USPSA and IDPA are games, but if you feel that shooting Alphas better prepares you for the food court, that is reasonable.

4) I find it harder to shoot fast than accurately, so I use matches to try to push speed while maintaining accuracy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I do like steel but shoot it with a Buckmark, not my gun for DA STREETZ! Great discussion in this thread. p-f and USP
    SA moved me to get the SRO, Gen 5 17 step up which I truly enjoy.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

coming from a 10 round limited country and going to 15 round allowed matches outside my idiot country, it's not a hard adjustment for RO's. It's harder for shooters, as we always want to reload more. But after a couple matches or even, if you're good, a couple stages, you get into the groove. ROing isn't difficult as the RO's very quickly figure out where reloads are most likely to happen anyhow, and pay attention. No different than counting to ten, and with linked tablet/timers it's even easier.
    What sucks is when you catch a guy shooting 12 rounds before the reload, in Canada. That's not just a DQ but a potential criminal charge if the wrong people were watching.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    What sucks is when you catch a guy shooting 12 rounds before the reload, in Canada. That's not just a DQ but a potential criminal charge if the wrong people were watching.
    Shooting more than 10+1 is a DQ? Not a bump to Open division like it is in USPSA?

User Tag List