Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Austin, TX - Things to do and places to eat

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes but expect “I know what I got Sonny” pricing.

GT is hit or miss on Agency trade ins. They will occasionally get a handful of revolvers and either trade-ins or seizure guns. Random walk in a GT is also your best bet to get a reasonably priced LE trade in long gun.

If you make it San Antonio Adelbridge and both Dury’s locations get some nice revolvers. Both have online inventory of uses guns on their websites.

Before they were bought out by Jackass Pro Shops, Cabela’s in Buda got some nice revolvers, including some estate collections. I quit stopping there a few years ago, but I heard they brought back some of the more popular Cabela’s features so maybe things have improved ?
    Fucker better be at least 80 if he’s gonna call me Sonny!

Site Supporter
    I found some nice revolvers at Dury's. McBride's also has a coin store in the site. It's ok but if you are an advanced collector, not so much. That action is the major firms auctions. Oh, my wallet. The coin store women glare at you also. Seems to go with the store at times.

Lamar is an interesting street depending on interests - food at Whole Foods flagship, Central Market, the comic store I mentioned, McBrides.

Your ten year old would enjoy feeding turtles at County Line on the Lake. 512 346 3664 This is an old fishing cabin turned into a bbq place on a creek feeding lake Austin. It's so popular with the kids that it has made tripadvisor. I very much like their bbq, but the bbq snobs will say there is better. But, the food is not the primary draw for kids, the turtle feeding is. You can eat outside on a wooden porch/dock on the water. The bread is wonderful. And, while you relax and enjoy a meal, your child will be completely entertained with a 100 turtles swimming around trying to eat the food that is thrown. Bring quarters to buy the turtle food. Your child will remember that experience long after the trip is over.

For you, there is STI (Staccato now?) in Georgetown, about 20 miles north of Austin. Years and years ago, I was given a private tour and got to handle virtually every handgun they were making at the time. Then, it was a bunch of different 1911s in various configurations. I don't know if they would do anything like that today, but it could be worth a call to find out if they have a showroom or display to go see.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

We really enjoyed touring the state capital when we were there.
    Texas Capitol
    (512) 463-4630
    https://maps.google.com?q=Texas%20Ca...=karto&g_st=ic

Also, of all the bbq places I’ve visited there, this is my favorite

Iron Works Barbecue
    (512) 478-4855
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/QvGKdQwmRTSEk6Wz5?g_st=ic

Happens to also be across the street from my favorite hotel, which has an amazing lobby bar

Fairmont Austin
    (512) 600-2000
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/DvsMo6YR4mmdHKZy8?g_st=ic

This place is fun, particularly with a group or family

Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden
    (512) 386-1656
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/2y5xEQ7gqD3pX2wJA?g_st=ic
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Ctrl+F "collector"... no? Collectors Firearms out of Houston now has a small satellite location in Austin. It's inside The Range off I-35 and Slaughter.

I-35 is a dumpster fire on wheels, but if you're down there it's worth stopping in. Pre-lock S&Ws and lever action Winchesters present but not in large number, they tend to be more esoteric. To me it's more of a quasi-museum that occasionally has stuff I want to buy. I think the main location in Houston is gunshow-size? I've never been. Priced on the high side of what's 'reasonable' but it is what it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Your ten year old would enjoy feeding turtles at County Line on the Lake. 512 346 3664 This is an old fishing cabin turned into a bbq place on a creek feeding lake Austin. It's so popular with the kids that it has made tripadvisor. I very much like their bbq, but the bbq snobs will say there is better. But, the food is not the primary draw for kids, the turtle feeding is. You can eat outside on a wooden porch/dock on the water. The bread is wonderful. And, while you relax and enjoy a meal, your child will be completely entertained with a 100 turtles swimming around trying to eat the food that is thrown. Bring quarters to buy the turtle food. Your child will remember that experience long after the trip is over.
    That County Line is in my neck of the woods. It's been ages since I've eaten there but last time the bbq was good, just a little pricy. It's a restaurant that serves bbq, so you won't get the experience of waiting in line and then talking to the cutter. Sitting and enjoying a drink while someone brings your food might be just the ticket depending on your day.

If you go Bull Creek park is maybe a mile away down Lakewood drive. There are tracks worn into the creek bed from the wagons of settlers going to town which is kinda cool. Even cooler for a ten year old the wagon tracks hold all manner of creatures - fish, crayfish, tadpoles, frogs and sometimes you find little turtles. I spent many an afternoon there with my daughter, a catch net and a bucket. It's weather dependant though, the area could be bone dry or completely underwater. I drive past a few times a week, if you're interested I can check how the creek is flowing closer to your trip.

The Pennybacker bridge is around the corner a little South on 360. There's some good views from the overlook but the trail may be a bit of a scramble.

North on 360 is the Arboretum outdoor shopping center with an Amy's ice cream - a local ice cream place where you pick your flavor and you pick mix ins and they mash it all together. There's a large outdoor seating area just past the store, several life size cow sculptures kids can play on, an overlook and a short walking trail.

Site Supporter
    Did anybody say see the bats? I don't recall. County Line is ok. I took visitors from Italy there as it was convenient.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Did anybody say see the bats? I don't recall. County Line is ok. I took visitors from Italy there as it was convenient.
    I had mentioned I think March is early for the bats. Even if they're back from Mexico they're after insects and will only fly if it's warm enough. Check the bat hotline (512) 327-9721 for info on recent flights.

Fun Stuff for adults/kid:
    Bob Bullock museum

The Univesity of Texas main campus is just across the street from the Bob Bullock museum and they have:
    1. UT natural science museum with tons of dinosaur fossils (might be closed for renovations in 23'? ).
    2.The UT Harry Ransom center that has an original complete 2 voume set of the Gutenberg Bible (worth about $50mil) and some other nice art like Frita Kahlo (its about 4-5 blocks from the Blanton Museum)
    3.The UT Blanton museum has a bunch of nice art

If you wanna go for a little drive down IH35 San Marcos is fun. The San Marcos airport is home to the Centex Wing of the Commermorative Airforce. They have a B-25 Mitchell, a P-39 Aircobra and a C-47 that was the lead aircraft on D-day (all airworthy). San Marcos also is home to some great BBQ....Hays County BBQ is some of my favorite and is just off IH35. San Marcos also has san marcos springs which is a huge spring fed lake that has glass bottom boat tours.

CODA or Circuit of the Americas is having a race on March 11-12 that would be really fun. It's drift cars I think....

Food:
    Austin has a ton of good eating places, its really a foodie city, it all depends on what you want. Besides brick and mortar restraunts their are myriad food trailers that have really good food. For kids, near downtown, there's Hula Hut on the lake that has a neat view/kid friendly atmosphere and a kid friendly menu. Yelp is generally accurate and few restraunts are bad...we have good food here.

Guns:
    My favorite "damn, thats nice!" gun store is Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves just outside of Austin. They have a bunch of high end stuff with some really unique pieces coming though there. Very kid friendly too...the staff there is awesome and they have been treating my son well since he was small...to inlcude letting him handle things that cost more than a new car (he's a very mature kid). Like someone said, they opened a franchise of a collectors firearm place in The Range in south austin. Great staff and some really, really weird neat guns...like a legit issue 03a3 arsenal conversion with a 25 round magazine and many many beautiful old colt wheelguns (both percussion and cartridge).
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 12-31-2022 at 03:00 AM.

I just saw this place mentioned on Texas Monthly (don’t taze me, bro) and it’s now on my must-try list:

https://www.kgbbq.com/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List