Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Threadocker vs loctite

Threadocker vs loctite

I know that I get what I pay for, that generally holds true with everything. However, I'm wondering if generic thread locker is a good value similar to generic OTC meds are.

Gunsmith and mechanical types, what say you? Thread locker or loctite?

My uses are pistol sights on guns that see a lot of use, and accessories on carbines that see even more use.
    Last edited by senorlechero; 07-24-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Although I usually use the Loctite products, I've never had a problem with the basic Red & Blue equivalents from Permatex, or the various car parts chains' store brands. However, it's not an area where I see an opportunity for much in the way of cost savings, especially if you buy from an industrial supply house rather than the local hardware store.

For specialty compounds, such as shaft retaining, wicking, etc., I'd stick with name brand stuff so I know exactly what I'm dealing with.

With thread lockers in general, surface prep is a key to success that is often overlooked. If the threads aren't clean & degreased, you're only fooling yourself, IMHO.

HTH,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    especially if you buy from an industrial supply house rather than the local hardware store.

With thread lockers in general, surface prep is a key to success that is often overlooked. If the threads aren't clean & degreased, you're only fooling yourself, IMHO.

HTH,
    Dave
    Do you have an industrial supply house that you can recommend? And what do you use for surface prep?

I usually get that type of thing, and many other supplies, from Mcmaster-Carr.

As for prep, degrease both the screw and the hole with a good solvent that doesn't leave a residue, and don't use too much thread locking compound. You only need a small amount. Just follow the instructions and use the correct type for the particular application.

Loctite makes a primer that works better than solvents, I've learned through a couple of FMEAs.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    McMaster-Carr is good, as is MSC Industrial Supply. If you have any interest in mechanical arts, both of their catalogs belong in your shop.

Brake Parts Cleaner, or Electrical Contact Cleaner, are my usual solvents for thread cleaning. I'd suggest the nonchlorinated versions, in case you need to use them around plastics etc. Acetone works too, but I haven't tested it on a Glock frame yet

ETA: Carroll Smith (Author of the "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, and Plumbing Handbook" that I refer to often) also recommends the Loctite brand primers, but I haven't personally tried those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    Loctite makes a primer that works better than solvents, I've learned through a couple of FMEAs.
    Is this necessary for gun parts? Dave Dawson says he uses lacquer thinner in his Glock sight install video.

Depends. Probably not.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Permatex and Loctite, I believe, are both owned by Woodhill Chemical in Cleveland. I was there for an adhesives and coatings seminar a couple of years ago.

No functional difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    Permatex and Loctite, I believe, are both owned by Woodhill Chemical in Cleveland. I was there for an adhesives and coatings seminar a couple of years ago.

No functional difference between them.
    Thanks for the input all.

Next question: I've heard a few places that using loctite 620 on front sights is recommended as it resists heat to a higher temp. However the green thread locker from permatex says its a penetrating formula for use on pre assembled items, and not a high heat one. Are these the same formula?
    Sorry I'm asking dunce questions, but I'm an infantryman and have been since HS, so reading the formulas and aging and MSDS ad naseum is a bit over my head.

User Tag List