Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ P-01 Omega or P-07 users, tell me which you prefer and why

CZ P-01 Omega or P-07 users, tell me which you prefer and why

I had a CZ-75B at the end of the 20th century and liked it although it was strictly a USPSA production gamer gun as I found it too heavy and large for CCW. My brotherinlaw the infantryman hated the M9 with a passion, so he took it with him to Iraq in 2003 and of course it could not come home. I often wonder how many owners it finally had and if it still exists.

So I am intrigued to dip back into the CZ pool this winter and try one of their hammer fired DA/SA guns, my use case is purely CCW, assuming I get comfortable and competent with it I will order some JMCK and carry it, it won't be my gamer gun.

We have many experts and owners here with 10's of thousands of rounds down range with each. I am just looking for the specifics of what makes you prefer one over the other for carry and why you find you shoot one model better than the other if you can discern the reason for that.

I was very surprised to check the specs and find that the weight of the all metal gun is within 1/2 oz. weight of the polymer frame gun. Street price on GB appears to be a wash, same for magazines, and I see the Cajun gun works people support both with performance parts.

Clusterfrack will give you some great info. Good observation on the weight difference as well!

I’m not a fan of the Omega system (although it is simpler and likely more robust than the “standard” setup) but I don’t think you would go wrong with either. The P07 slide is bulkier, and the magazines are bulkier as well. I think the real difference comes to your hand size and how you interface with the gun - meaning - the backstrap system on the 07/09 doesn’t do anything for me really, with my small to medium hands, but changing the side grip panels on the 01 really allows me to tune how I shoot the gun and what my support hand can do.

I’d argue as well not to race to the razors edge with performance parts in the CZ, many people will get to the brink and then wonder why the gun doesn’t work or parts break - some of it is on CZ but the end user has a role as well.

ETA: So in the end I would advise a gun rental range or taking some time in the gun shop to fondle them both and how you interact with the gun controls and go from there. Also I think the 07/09 might have more stock accuracy, and the 01 series does benefit from the CGW bushing without adverse effects on reliability for CCW.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Not a super user by any means but I definitely prefer the P-01, especially for EDC as I think the more rounded butt works better there. Also, the ergonomics just work better for me and I prefer being ably to change the grip panels. And, while not quantitative, I think I can shoot the P-01 a little better. The only changes I have made to mine consist of a CGW ultra-lite kit, grip panels, and sights.

They are both outstanding firearms and if I had to give up my P-01 I could easily live with a P-07.

The best I can compare is my P-07s to my 75D PCR and 75B Omega. Although, I think I can make inferences based on my experience with these models.

I do prefer the feel of the metal framed compacts as they tend to have a more natural feel to me. I have also tended to shoot them slightly better than the polymer. And as guymontag said:

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    ...changing the side grip panels on the 01 really allows me to tune how I shoot the gun and what my support hand can do.
    What has kept me from carrying the metal framed gun more frequently is a (possibly misplaced) perception of durability that the slide/frame have on the polymer gun. This could probably start a polycoat vs. nitride finish argument. I also don't feel as bad about putting wear on the finish of my polymer guns. For me, polymer guns feel more 'expendable' and replaceable than metal framed.

The only other comparison I can make is the trigger feel between polymer and metal framed Omegas. I only have a sample set of one metal versus three polymers so take this for what it might be worth to you. I've had better luck cleaning up the stock trigger on the polymer guns. I've put CGW parts into my P-07s, but my stock P-09 trigger yielded a better trigger than my 75B Omega. This is with the same amount of work done to the factory parts.

Don't know if you've seen this comparison or not.

I have had both and still have the P-01 Omega. I like how you can change the grip panels out on the Omega’s to suit your preference for texture and thickness and some of the aftermarket G10 grip panels really locks your hand onto the grip. For me the grip frame of the P-07 is kind of slick, also I think the mags are cheaper for the P-01. IMHO, they both need the spring kits to reduce their stock DA trigger pull. The cheaper P-07 is a better value money wise. It really just comes down to personal preference.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3BKsIgRek

Last edited by Biggy; 11-19-2022 at 12:02 PM.

I have both; I wouldn't feel bad about carrying either but the P07 wins the ergonomics by a mile for the simple reason that you can fit a large backstrap. I have XL+ hands; the tiny grip of the P01 basically means I can get my strong/trigger hand on it, but there's nearly zero room to fit my off hand on it and make contact with the grip panel when in a firing grip. It sucks, because it's a great size, otherwise ergonomically sound, I like the decocker on my P01, etc...it just moves around so much in my hand because I can only ever really shoot it SHO, with the weak hand really only serving to help crush my strong hand on it, and not really making any contact with a grip surface

@fatdog

Like people said, you really can’t go wrong with either one.

Personally, I like the P01 because I can customize grip width and texture to place my trigger finger exactly where I want it.

I do this on all my competition CZs.

Small parts interchangeability is what swayed me as well with the other metal framed CZs.

You can even make it into something weird if you wanted to.

Name:  04427335-70A0-4DAC-82CA-9A259E1A728E.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  80.0 KB

They have 3D printed spacers to use standard 75B mags without over insertion.

And speaking of magazines...

Mec-gar makes 15-round P-01 magazines if the factory 14-round magazines are inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @fatdog

Like people said, you really can’t go wrong with either one.

Personally, I like the P01 because I can customize grip width and texture to place my trigger finger exactly where I want it.

I do this on all my competition CZs.

Small parts interchangeability is what swayed me as well with the other metal framed CZs.

You can even make it into something weird if you wanted to.

Name:  04427335-70A0-4DAC-82CA-9A259E1A728E.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  80.0 KB

They have 3D printed spacers to use standard 75B mags without over insertion.
    What brand and kind of grips are on your P-01

User Tag List