Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I can't really disagree, and a MM is a lovely smoke to be sure.

That said, I cat my vote for a entry level Nording with the caution that it will take a few ounces to reach its peak in performance.

I suggest a Rhodesian pattern, with Frog Morton Cellar to begin.
    I am fond of the Nording Danish Freehands.
    Another option for an introductory smoke might be a Dr. Grabow. You can probably get one at your local drug store. Don't expect too much, you get what you pay for, but it'll at least let you know if you are comfortable with pipe smoking, You'll also be able to experiment with straight versus bent stems.
    Also, if there's a tobacconist in your area, ask about "the basket", which might contain estate pipes ( which will have been cleaned and sanitized) or inexpensive blems from reputable makers.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I am fond of the Nording Danish Freehands.
    Another option for an introductory smoke might be a Dr. Grabow. You can probably get one at your local drug store. Don't expect too much, you get what you pay for, but it'll at least let you know if you are comfortable with pipe smoking, You'll also be able to experiment with straight versus bent stems.
    Also, if there's a tobacconist in your area, ask about "the basket", which might contain estate pipes ( which will have been cleaned and sanitized) or inexpensive blems from reputable makers.
    I'm going to have to look for a tobacconist. I stopped by the local cigar shop, but they only have cigars, not pipes or loose tobacco. Still, I picked up a couple of my go-to sticks, the Padron 1964 Principe Maduro. Some of my coworkers and I have begun doing a 'Malt Monday' once a month or so, wherein we sip fine liquor and smoke fine sticks to ease the pain of Monday. I reckon these will do nicely until I figure out what pipe to get.

It is interesting having the internet for a resource in this, though. I bought a cheap drug-store corncob pipe when I was 18, and smoked it while camping or skiing. I didn't know anything about the care or maintenance of pipes, I just shoveled some tobacco in and lit the thing, and had the devil's own time keeping it going. That, combined with the realization of how much it would suck to faceplant on a black diamond slope with a pipe stem in my mouth, prompted my switch to cigars. It got stolen out of my truck my freshman year at college, and I haven't really looked at pipes since. Just based on what I've read here and in a few other spots, I can see how much technique I didn't realize existed. I find it interesting.

Look for a Tinderbox. They're actually pretty good tobacco stores.

EDIT: Use this link to find a franchise near you...: Tinder Box International: Find a Store
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Look for a Tinderbox. They're actually pretty good tobacco stores.

EDIT: Use this link to find a franchise near you...: Tinder Box International: Find a Store
    Nice, there's one not too far from my office.

For pipes, I've enjoyed my Peterson's tremendously, typically with a medium aromatic tobacco.

Well, I stopped by the local Tinderbox and acquired a Missouri Meerschaum and an ounce of their "Sunset Rum" blend. I think I'll try it with a dram of my Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Well, I stopped by the local Tinderbox and acquired a Missouri Meerschaum and an ounce of their "Sunset Rum" blend. I think I'll try it with a dram of my Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask.
    I think I can safely say this was a good idea. Combined with a little live-recorded Jimmy Buffett, it turned into a pleasant sunset.

It's been a three-ring circus here on the Ponderosa this week. I'm wandering out on the back patio with the dog, a pipe of black cherry tobacco, and a glass of 18-year-old Glenmorangie. I have earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's been a three-ring circus here on the Ponderosa this week. I'm wandering out on the back patio with the dog, a pipe of black cherry tobacco, and a glass of 18-year-old Glenmorangie. I have earned it.
    Enjoy it!

Don't care for the aromatic blends, myself. Don't taste that good, or smoke well for me, either.

Prefer the English blends, especially something with some Latakia in it.

But it's all a matter of taste.
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List