Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cigar and Pipe thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Why? Why? Why did you have to do that?

Any recommendations where to buy a decent pipe online? Anything to look for? I am way interested. Recommendations for a tobacco.

Maybe we need a pipe thread.

Cookie
    Well, I've decimated the Cup-o-Joes inventory recently (http://www.cupojoes.com/).

As for pipes - I prefer briar. Meers don't do it for me. A good pipe is $100+. Petersons (I like army mounts) are my favorite. In terms of taste, Wileys are first rate. They are oil boiled and aroud $200. For those with a sense of tradition (I call it taste ) the Peterson Deluxe and Silver Spigots are my favorite.

If you are new to pipes, make sure you start with a bent pipe - you don't want any backflow to ruin your first few experiences.

On tabacco: The easiest (albiet wettest) smoke to start with is Hartwell Evening Stroll. I had a past girlfriend that wouldn't be around me when I lit up a cigar, but darn near begged me to smoke evening stroll. I'm not a fan of many english blends though, and most of those have a pretty harsh room note. Seven Seas Gold is a little drier, and a bit more tropical. University Flake is my stand by. 2012 Special Reserve is great indoors with a fire going. Luxury Blend (seen in the pics above) is a fanstastic evening blend if you are sitting in the woods thinking on stuff.

Start a pipe thread, and I'll participate!

I've been tempted to get into pipe smoking, but my credit card hates me enough with all my cigar and gun purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    So in my run to the big city yesterday, I found myself in a place with a walk in humidor. I ended up walking out with a "short story" after remembering this thread. You guys are a bad influence.

Last time I smoked a cigar was more than a decade ago and I am sure I did it poorly.

So I plan to take sometime this week and enjoy. Any recommendations on doing it "right"? Any blunders newbie make? How much to cut off? How?

Thanks guys. Soon I will shaving with a razor as well.

Cheers,

Cookie Monster
    Wait until you have time to sit back and really enjoy it with a favorite beverage. Nothing ruins a good cigar like being rushed and/or being pestered (in my case I make sure the wife and kids are occupied for the duration)

Site Supporter
    You can find some very nice, and very interesting, vintage and/or estate pipes on ebay. Don't ask me how I know...

Pipe smokers rejoice! I've renamed this thread so as to include you guys as well.

Burning a bowl of Nording Hunters Blend: Pointer, grading some reports, then off to study myself.

Pointer is to be recommended. Excellent aromatic.

I like Danish Freehands, myself, although Petersons are pretty nifty. I also have a few meerschaums I like.

As for tobacco, I prefer the English blends to flavored ones; I like latakia blends, virginias, and sometimes a touch of perique.

Today's poison. Great combo for sitting in the woods thinking on stuff

Today, a Pete Sitter and Sweet Killarney.

Less time in the woods today, more time looking for money....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Well, I've decimated the Cup-o-Joes inventory recently (http://www.cupojoes.com/).

As for pipes - I prefer briar. Meers don't do it for me. A good pipe is $100+. Petersons (I like army mounts) are my favorite. In terms of taste, Wileys are first rate. They are oil boiled and aroud $200. For those with a sense of tradition (I call it taste ) the Peterson Deluxe and Silver Spigots are my favorite.

If you are new to pipes, make sure you start with a bent pipe - you don't want any backflow to ruin your first few experiences.

On tabacco: The easiest (albiet wettest) smoke to start with is Hartwell Evening Stroll. I had a past girlfriend that wouldn't be around me when I lit up a cigar, but darn near begged me to smoke evening stroll. I'm not a fan of many english blends though, and most of those have a pretty harsh room note. Seven Seas Gold is a little drier, and a bit more tropical. University Flake is my stand by. 2012 Special Reserve is great indoors with a fire going. Luxury Blend (seen in the pics above) is a fanstastic evening blend if you are sitting in the woods thinking on stuff.

Start a pipe thread, and I'll participate!
    I'll second most of the advice given here, although I would encourage those who aren't sure they'll stick with it to consider either a corn cob or a previously owned (estate) briar. I would also encourage those new to the hobby to try a range of tobaccos (burley, English, Virginias, and aromatics) to get a feel for what they like best.

Some other online retailers that are good are Pipes and Cigars and Smoking Pipes.

User Tag List