Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witness marks on RDS fasteners

Witness marks on RDS fasteners

I'm curious what people are using for witness marks/torque stripes on their RDS fasteners?

I recently installed a pair of Holosun 407s, and I used a metallic silver color Sharpie I "borrowed" from my wife's craft supplies.

The sharpie seems like a functional solution, but I was curious if a better option was available. I have no idea exactly how permanent the sharpie will prove to be, so I may need to re-witness at some point.

Site Supporter
    I’ve had good luck with metallic sharpie on dots and archery equipment for several years now.

Another +1 to the silver sharpie.

I mark screws at 6 o’clock and I don’t mark the optic.

I can black sharpie the screws and start over anytime.

Sharpie oil-based paint markers for everything that needs a witness mark.

I use the Sharpie fine tip paint markers or Testor paint markers… which ever I have laying around.

What I’ve come to value more than the witness mark is a dab of E6000, not saying I don’t mark, but I’ve been very impressed with JCN’s suggestion on the product.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

You can use the edges of two pieces of masking tape to make a line, then fill in the line with the sharpie or paint pen. Boom. Clean and neat line

I also use silver sharpie.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Where does the E6000 come into play for optics mounting?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Where does the E6000 come into play for optics mounting?
    A couple of places.

I use some on mounting plates to slides to dampen vibration and take load off the plate screws.

I use a little on the plate to optic recoil bosses to dampen vibration and take load off the optic screws.

I use a little on the optic screws. Sometimes I use it instead of loctite.

Usually I’ll put a little blue loctite on the tip of the screws and a dab of E6000 under the cap head.

User Tag List