Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions are hard - truck edition *UPDATE* see post #123

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Oh ok, I guess I musta missed that because it seemed to me you were talking about the half-ton Rebel at first- or at least before, that’s what I was referring to until I found out here recently that they were making a 2500 version.

But yeah, back almost 5 years ago when I was shopping for my truck, I wasn’t interested in a PW only because if my towing needs were to some day change, that PW wouldn’t be a good candidate for that if a future travel trailer was be discussed so I was looking at basically the 2500 version of what I eventually bought but it would’ve had the factory rear air ride so that when you’re not towing, you don’t have the heavy duty steel 3/4-ton suspension beating you to death but since at the time all they had was the 6-speeds, after a test drive of one of those even with that big motor, I wasn’t impressed. If I woulda waited another couple years I might would have bought one with the heavier 8-speed.

I used to have interest in diesel- still have interest but not for a daily driver ever since the EPA started jacking with the emissions. Far as I’m concerned, the only time I’ll have something like that is if I absolutely need it when nothing else would do. I even said no to the EcoDiesel. Great mileage but DEF, particulate filters, regens and more expensive oil changes and fuel filter changes just don’t excite me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The thread has been a little winding, so there's been mention of both. The Rebel in the recent post is the 2500 version. It's a little over $1k cheaper than the PW because it takes roughly $2k off the MSRP but then adds $900-ish back on for the 20" wheels. That was my tip off that I had been moved to a Rebel instead of a Power Wagon. The base truck order code is the same.

The Rebel HD is basically Ram's answer to the Ford F-250 Tremor, something that is much more biased toward towing than off roading. I didn't like the 1500 Rebel due to the changes from 4th gen cab to 5th gen cab, and the option packages force me into things I don't want to get things I do want. 1/2 ton wise, I'd rather have the F-150 Tremor.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The thread has been a little winding, so there's been mention of both. The Rebel in the recent post is the 2500 version. It's a little over $1k cheaper than the PW because it takes roughly $2k off the MSRP but then adds $900-ish back on for the 20" wheels. That was my tip off that I had been moved to a Rebel instead of a Power Wagon. The base truck order code is the same.

The Rebel HD is basically Ram's answer to the Ford F-250 Tremor, something that is much more biased toward towing than off roading. I didn't like the 1500 Rebel due to the changes from 4th gen cab to 5th gen cab, and the option packages force me into things I don't want to get things I do want. 1/2 ton wise, I'd rather have the F-150 Tremor.
    I was wondering if that had a little bit to do with it being that the tremor comes with the optional winch in the front bumper, a few other things and how it kind of sounds like it was originally meant to compete with the power wagon which is still no comparison because like you said, the three-quarter ton rebel and the tremor were designed with a little bit of off-road in mind whereas at the same time, be more towards a true three-quarter ton truck….and may possibly become a little bit closer to satisfying the crowd that’s always bitched about the power wagon not coming with a Cummins turbo diesel… Lol.

Name:  20221026_172900.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  100.4 KB

Done.

2021 75th Anniversary edition with more options than I would have ordered it with. 8107 miles.

I got it from a small town dealer in Illinois. They said they have an older farmer who gets bored and swaps cars to the tune of about 8 a year. He bought a Mustang in another city, drove it home and didn't care for it on the drive so he traded it to them with 250 miles on it. They said he had the Power Wagon just over a year (15 months, per Carfax) and it's one of the longest he's ever kept it. He traded in this and a Hellcat on something or other. He also has a Durango SRT, all in the same green.

The winch controller still has the zip ties on it, never touched. The truck is spec'd with the box that lets you easily wire in aftermarket electronic items, like if you want power steps tied to the door opening or whatever, and that pigtail is still in the unopened plastic. Those steps are Mopar, but not the original rock sliders. They are checking if he still has them and will give them to me if he does. Mud flaps are Mopar and dealer installed as well.

Crawiling around under it, it still has the assembly line number markings visible on many parts.

Now I just have to figure out how this Android Auto stuff works in Uconnect 4. They didn't get wireless until 2022, but I wanted a 2021 for the anniversary edition with the two tone interior. It's an exclusive to that year, and I like that more than I care about Uconnect 5 vs 4.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 10-27-2022 at 02:05 AM.

Good lookin’ truck. Not sure I dig that green but hey, if you’re happy with it and if you feel like you got all the features you wanted, that’s all that matters.

Of course, we’re gonna have to see some action photos…lol. Being that you can disconnect your sway bars, I wanna see those axles crisscrossed….[emoji41]

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Good lookin’ truck. Not sure I dig that green but hey, if you’re happy with it and if you feel like you got all the features you wanted, that’s all that matters.

Of course, we’re gonna have to see some action photos…lol. Being that you can disconnect your sway bars, I wanna see those axles crisscrossed….[emoji41]

It looks better in person, I think, especially in the light. It's a pearl paint (Olive Green Pearl) and I like the contrast with the black accents. The green is my wife's favorite, so that helps. Ordering one, I was going to go Hydro Blue, but Olive Green Pearl was a runner-up, as was Patriot Blue. I like Flame Red as a mono color paint scheme, but it looked a little to University of Louisville-y with the black stripe and Power Wagon markings.

I've got tentative plans for the Kentucky Adventure Trail next spring with a buddy and his daughter, both of who will be in Toyotas. I can get some winch action shots, too, pulling them through the trails...

Name:  20221026_172900.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  100.4 KB

Done.

2021 75th Anniversary edition with more options than I would have ordered it with. 8107 miles.
    Beautiful truck!

Get real rock sliders before taking any trails with steps, waterfalls or moderate sized rocks. Real rock sliders attach to the frame, not the body pinch seam.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Beautiful truck!

Get real rock sliders before taking any trails with steps, waterfalls or moderate sized rocks. Real rock sliders attach to the frame, not the body pinch seam.
    I'll probably order some White Knuckle Offroad sliders early next year. Also front diff armor. Once the OEM 33" tires are done-ish, I'll go to a 35" or so. A lot of options fit, and even some thinner 37", but I don't want to take that sort of range hit.

I'll probably order some White Knuckle Offroad sliders early next year. Also front diff armor. Once the OEM 33" tires are done-ish, I'll go to a 35" or so. A lot of options fit, and even some thinner 37", but I don't want to take that sort of range hit.

But 37” look so good.

AKA: SkyLine1

My next upgrades

Rear trac bar

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/co...00-power-wagon

Steering dampener

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/co...2500-2014-2022

I’m probably going to air bag my rear to help out with towing since I went with the Thuren soft rear springs/fox 2.0 rear suspension kit. I had little too much sag on the last run to the deer lease, when Tx DPS flashes the brights at ya your kinda running nose up.

After that I’ll probably be done unless I hit the power ball and go beast mode with super charger and King Dominator 3” reservoir shocks and weld on relocation mounts.

Ultimate goal is to get a Black Series Q17/Q19/Q21 for some off road trips and deer lease in comfort.

I went with a viair on board air compressor kit that’s a constant duty system 45 min on/use duty cycle. I mounted the pump to the passenger side frame rail with welded on studs to make sure it was secure and the tank is mounted via threaded nut serts to the body pan under the passenger front door with the air line ran into the bed and connection/chuck right under the right side loop tie down for protection. I wanted everything tucked out of the way a somewhat protected from sight/impact damage.

I’m still really liking the retrax pro bed cover and bed rack/platform I put together. Everything has stayed secure loaded down with 15 gallons (three 5 gallon fuel jugs and carrier) of fuel, 37” spare tire, shovel and fire extinguisher. I want to mount some track boards and a off road jack to it as well but haven’t found exactly how or what products to purchase yet. Inside the bed I use a back pack loaded with air lines, ARB tire repair kit and straps hooked onto the top right tie down hooks.

I’m not sure if I’m going to do lights and bumpers, just haven’t found anything that isn’t too mall warrior with enough protection and actually will take a good hit.

AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    My next upgrades

Rear trac bar

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/co...00-power-wagon

Steering dampener

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/co...2500-2014-2022

I’m probably going to air bag my rear to help out with towing since I went with the Thuren soft rear springs/fox 2.0 rear suspension kit. I had little too much sag on the last run to the deer lease, when Tx DPS flashes the brights at ya your kinda running nose up.

After that I’ll probably be done unless I hit the power ball and go beast mode with super charger and King Dominator 3” reservoir shocks and weld on relocation mounts.

Ultimate goal is to get a Black Series Q17/Q19/Q21 for some off road trips and deer lease in comfort.

I went with a viair on board air compressor kit that’s a constant duty system 45 min on/use duty cycle. I mounted the pump to the passenger side frame rail with welded on studs to make sure it was secure and the tank is mounted via threaded nut serts to the body pan under the passenger front door with the air line ran into the bed and connection/chuck right under the right side loop tie down for protection. I wanted everything tucked out of the way a somewhat protected from sight/impact damage.

I’m still really liking the retrax pro bed cover and bed rack/platform I put together. Everything has stayed secure loaded down with 15 gallons (three 5 gallon fuel jugs and carrier) of fuel, 37” spare tire, shovel and fire extinguisher. I want to mount some track boards and a off road jack to it as well but haven’t found exactly how or what products to purchase yet. Inside the bed I use a back pack loaded with air lines, ARB tire repair kit and straps hooked onto the top right tie down hooks.

I’m not sure if I’m going to do lights and bumpers, just haven’t found anything that isn’t too mall warrior with enough protection and actually will take a good hit.

I hope you have a lot better luck with that Retrax retractable bed cover than I did. I bought one for my Ram shortly after I bought it brand new and it was literally impossible to keep the rain water out of my bed to where I even had them warranty the side rails which did nothing to the point to where I eventually ended up selling it to a family member and ended up buying one of those painted-to-match solid fiberglass covers from Undercover. Sure, I liked the bed access with the Retrax but I didn’t like my gear getting wet. Hauling big shit in the bed is an issue but for one, I have a little trailer and two, the cover really isn’t all that hard to remove if the trailer just isn’t feasible.

User Tag List