Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Budget Wide Bodies. BUL vs Springfield Armory!

MAC and Tisas side-by-side

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

@Skinner Precision, LLC

Any updates on the Tisas? Did you cut down the front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    @Skinner Precision, LLC

Any updates on the Tisas? Did you cut down the front sight?

You shamed me into action...ran back to range and fired another group to verify the sights before cutting (aka lost old notes). Fired a 5 round group at 83' resting on a gamechanger bag. Held so that the front sight was level on the horizontal transition of the
    B8 to the IPSC target it was stapled with and centered as well as I could with the sight totally obscuring bull (a lot like a frame hold in NRA Long Range competition) managed to almost squeak an acceptable group with the oversized sight picture but the group is still big for how much i was working and there one still went wide right...
    Buzzed the sight in the mill (took .030") off and checked it again. Freestyle at 15 yds I am still 4 inches low but I decided to leave it be for now as the dot came in yesterday.

The Holosun k fits the pocket surprisingly well it takes a fair amount of thumb pressure for it to snap in and you can the pick up the pistol by the optic (w/no fastners holding optic to slide). My screw order from McMaster Carr will be here today so I can actually mount the optic. The slide is M3x0.5 (so holosun screws are a no go), the supplied screws with the cover plate are shcs so no reusing them, the only thing they are useful for is helping guesstimate the screw length needed.

These irons suck, at least to my eyes. If running w/o a dot , go to the trouble of whittling other sights to fit. Assuming I get the dot mounted and it shoots acceptable enough, I will run a two day pistol class with it next weekend and give more feedback. By that time it should have 2000ish through it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    You shamed me into action...ran back to range and fired another group to verify the sights before cutting (aka lost old notes). Fired a 5 round group at 83' resting on a gamechanger bag. Held so that the front sight was level on the horizontal transition of the
    B8 to the IPSC target it was stapled with and centered as well as I could with the sight totally obscuring bull (a lot like a frame hold in NRA Long Range competition) managed to almost squeak an acceptable group with the oversized sight picture but the group is still big for how much i was working and there one still went wide right...
    Buzzed the sight in the mill (took .030") off and checked it again. Freestyle at 15 yds I am still 4 inches low but I decided to leave it be for now as the dot came in yesterday.

The Holosun k fits the pocket surprisingly well it takes a fair amount of thumb pressure for it to snap in and you can the pick up the pistol by the optic (w/no fastners holding optic to slide). My screw order from McMaster Carr will be here today so I can actually mount the optic. The slide is M3x0.5 (so holosun screws are a no go), the supplied screws with the cover plate are shcs so no reusing them, the only thing they are useful for is helping guesstimate the screw length needed.

These irons suck, at least to my eyes. If running w/o a dot , go to the trouble of whittling other sights to fit. Assuming I get the dot mounted and it shoots acceptable enough, I will run a two day pistol class with it next weekend and give more feedback. By that time it should have 2000ish through it.
    That rear notch is comically large.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Drunk gunbroker.com bidding pays off?

I just won a Live Free Armory Apollo 11 at auction. The auction price itself was pretty decent, but the darned fees, taxes, and shipping sure add up quickly!

This is the 5" gun, and, being from a dealer's inventory, I don't know what production generation it will be. Preferably, I would have gotten the new 4.15" gun, but I haven't really seen any of these for sale yet.

I'm out of town all this coming week, so I won't be able to take possession of the pistol until sometime during the week of the 17th. That's assuming the seller gets it shipped Monday and uses the 2nd day shipping method as noted in the listing.

What interests me most about the Apollo line is the price, obviously. These guns are touted as U.S. made but are priced right in there with the Girsan and Tisas products.

Name:  IMG_0062.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  44.5 KB

I submit to you: The budget wide body that's been around this entire time. My bro accompanied me to the range today and he brought his most recent pawn shop score. A RIA 5" Tac 9mm. He texted late last week asking if this would be worthy of consideration for the price, and I think so (he got a killer deal). These guns caught my interest recently after Hayes Custom Guns posted some videos on YT showing what he does to tune these things. Mr Hayes had generally good things to say about this gun, and if he finds it worthy of his time to work on them, then there may be something to that.

I was always skeptical about the fact that it takes Para mags and that the grip would be too wide. I'd never pull the trigger on one of these sight unseen due to how chunky the grips may feel. I'm pleasantly surprised the grip felt good in hand, and it didn't feel too big.

At a glance, the gun appears well made. The slide to frame is tight and the barrel didn't have any play. The internals didn't appear to be MIM and it had the most pleasantly tactile thumb safety I've felt to date.

We put 350-400 rounds through it today and it was a solid performer. This would be a great option if it were cut for a dot.

https://youtu.be/KKqxKxBsgsk
    Last edited by 60167; 03-18-2024 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Also... Looks like he took the RIA gunsmith services down from his site, and the video I referenced above is now gone.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

User Tag List