Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tan Box 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ Should This Ammo Expand?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    As someone who has a fair amount of ranger-t in his rainy day fund, can you give me a reference for the lots that have QC issues?
    I took the date range and info that DocGKR has posted here concerning iffy QC and a production facility move and used the lot number to find where it was in that. My ammo was in the iffy range if this is correct but it came from the questionable plant he mentioned.

If I can find the thread I'll post it back here.

More pics

Additional pics.
    Name:  Ranger2.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  39.0 KB
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

More pics

Another
    Name:  Ranger3.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  24.0 KB
    Strive to carry the handgun you would want anywhere, everywhere; forget that good area bullcrap.
    "Wouldn't want to / Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

I'm really not OCD - much

Trying to figure out if this ammo should consistently expand.
    Name:  Ranger4.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  62.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I have a few boxes of 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ and don't know if this generation of the bullet can be assumed to expand.
    Would be from a Glock 17 or 34 length barrel.
    Yea, I've had the ammo awhile and its always been kept inside the house.
    I also have HST 124+P and 147+P (currently in pistols) and even regular Golden Saber 124+P (Not optimal, but if I ran out of HST).
    Is the 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ I've got good for carry or should I regulate it to practice ammo?
    I've an ammo can of the same era Ranger .45, and I'd carry that, so yes, I'd carry your 9mm.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Lucky Gunners testing of the 127gr had unreliable expansion:

5pins had a failure to expand from a 3" barrel as well:

https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/winc...cs-gel.261914/

With the folded over copper petals design that makes the 'talons' possible, it seems like it would be more vulnerable in manufacturing to how sharp the die is that forms the hollow point, leading to higher incidences of failures to expand compared to JHP's with more exposed lead / thinner jackets in the tip. But thats just a guess on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ranger T 127 +P+ almost makes Major power factor in a Glock 34. It's hotter than any factory ammo I've used, with noticeably more recoil and is way LOUDER. Given that there are no data suggesting it's more effective than (for example) standard power subsonic HST 147gr, I don't use it for life-safety purposes.
    357 Sig!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

With the folded over copper petals design that makes the 'talons' possible, it seems like it would be more vulnerable in manufacturing to how sharp the die is that forms the hollow point, leading to higher incidences of failures to expand compared to JHP's with more exposed lead / thinner jackets in the tip. But thats just a guess on my part.
    I completely forgot about that test.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

I know its not on the "approved" list, but regular (non-bonded) Golden Saber 124+P expanded more consistently than that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I have a few boxes of 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ and don't know if this generation of the bullet can be assumed to expand.
    Would be from a Glock 17 or 34 length barrel.
    Yea, I've had the ammo awhile and its always been kept inside the house.
    I also have HST 124+P and 147+P (currently in pistols) and even regular Golden Saber 124+P (Not optimal, but if I ran out of HST).
    Is the 9mm Ranger T 127 +P+ I've got good for carry or should I regulate it to practice ammo?
    Attachment 93273
    A few boxes is hardly enough to test POI and magazine and firearm reliability with a given round.

Social ammunition should be bought in lots of 1000 or more tested for point of impact tested for reliability

Ammunition stored properly lasts a very long time however ammunition I carry I store properly and don’t let get much more than 4 to 5 years old…… Remember going bang and point of impact far outweigh anything else

User Tag List