Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock grip inserts and POI

Another possible solution is to reduce strong hand grip tension, which allows you to move the trigger faster and more precisely.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Grip force adapter on top of medium no-beavertail insert for me. Flattens the curve out a lot for me on my G19.5 and GFA is wider and prevents slide bite better than factory.

Effect on my G45 isn’t as pronounced because the hump is lower but I still use that combo.

BTW my tip to top hand size is 10.5” and I benefit from a longer trigger reach on 9mm Glocks.

Surprised there haven’t been any aftermarket Gen4/5 complete blackstrap options.

Name:  8095079B-4A7C-409A-81AA-D6F74CE27E69.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  43.0 KB

I took out my G45 today and tried out every backstrap. Unfortunately, as predicted, the issue goes away instinctively after a mag or so (I used to shoot Glocks much more than I do these days, so it's always in there). I went through the large and medium beavertails, and I tried the L and M short inserts and honestly, I really didn't notice much. But like I said, the problem is my grip adapts pretty much automatically once my brain picks up on the issue. It was a fun experiment though.

I enjoy my Glocks, but as someone else said, I do best with them when I shoot them exclusively for a while. Fortunately, I never have any issue transitioning back to other pistols.

In my opinion, several factors that affect a lot of Glock shooters are the relationship of the:

Grip arch to the beavertail
    Grip arch to the grip angle
    Gun hand to both points
    Gap created in between

Because of the S-curve shape of the backstrap, there's a gap or low point created in between the beavertail and grip arch. It seems like this creates a disparity in grip pressure across the backstrap. You have high points at the arch and beavertail, a low point in between, and uneven grip pressure applied. I could see this leading to weird fulcrum-like characteristics. This is probably further exacerbated due to the grip angle and corresponding wrist angle required.

In my opinion, the Gen3 is worst at this due to the size of the arch creating a more significant low point in the S-curve. Gen1-2 are better. Gen4-5 are improved over Gen3. In general, I feel like building up the beavertail area to reduce the shallow part of the S-curve helps a LOT. There's the Grip Force Adapter as one option. For Gen4-5, you can also take a beavertail backstrap and cut the bottom portion to reduce the low point in the grip.

As an example, this isn't an exclusive issue to Glocks. IMO, the HK P30 and VP series also have a degree of this, at least with the larger backstraps. On those, I think the issue is masked a bit more due to the grip angle.
    Interesting!. I might swap on a large backstrap on my VP and check it out. It certainly isn't an issue with my Beretta APX or Walther Q4. I need to shoot my VP more often anyway.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-10-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Another possible solution is to reduce strong hand grip tension, which allows you to move the trigger faster and more precisely.
    I use the largest back strap on my CO G34, it allows more support hand on the grip and finer trigger control as I can use less dominant hand pressure. Completely messes w shooting my P365 though.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  8095079B-4A7C-409A-81AA-D6F74CE27E69.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  43.0 KB
    Nice 1911-ish grip mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I took out my G45 today and tried out every backstrap. Unfortunately, as predicted, the issue goes away instinctively after a mag or so (I used to shoot Glocks much more than I do these days, so it's always in there). I went through the large and medium beavertails, and I tried the L and M short inserts and honestly, I really didn't notice much. But like I said, the problem is my grip adapts pretty much automatically once my brain picks up on the issue. It was a fun experiment though.

I enjoy my Glocks, but as someone else said, I do best with them when I shoot them exclusively for a while. Fortunately, I never have any issue transitioning back to other pistols.

Interesting!. I might swap on a large backstrap on my VP and check it out. It certainly isn't an issue with my Beretta APX or Walther Q4. I need to shoot my VP more often anyway.
    All in on Glock makes for a good Glock shooter, but takes away the fun of shooting other platforms. I like the feel of a Gen 4 with no back strap, but seem to shoot more consistent with the larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Nice 1911-ish grip mod!
    It indexes like my CZ now! Even more similar than the Shadow Systems lower angle.

Also got the stippling iron…

Name:  68030615-6460-421A-BDD2-1E1FCC7C328A.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  E9CC116A-007C-477B-B27B-2547B6E34D8D.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  39.4 KB

User Tag List