Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Beretta New Release, APX A1

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Here is what he got from Beretta CS:

" The APX was designed to shoot 124 NATO and the gun doesn't have enough rounds through it to justify an issue so continue to shoot it and it will wear in "
    My training rounds for the longest time were my reloads 124 plated round nose, that I loaded fairly hot to more match the recoil of my carry rounds. Besides the carry rounds I put through my A1 the first 1500 rounds consisted of these, never had a failure to include lots of strong hand and support hand only shooting. Recently started buying the A2 reloaded 115 for training, cost wise it’s not really worth reloading 9 when it’s on sale. I’ve put close to 500 rounds of it through the A1 and it has functioned without issue, it’s loaded fairly hot. I’ve always preferred 124 reliability wise in 9, I was Leary of the A2 115. But it has proved to run great in all my 9s.

I’m thinking that gun may be a lemon, first I’ve read of one with functioning problems.

Here is what he got from Beretta CS:

" The APX was designed to shoot 124 NATO and the gun doesn't have enough rounds through it to justify an issue so continue to shoot it and it will wear in "
    I also had two similar malfunctions with the APX. I’m starting to think, overseeing the issues others have had, that the spring is too strong (according to some sites, it is measured at 18lbs but feels heavier).

One fix is to just run them until the spring is weakened enough to be consistent, but I think a new recoil spring, perhaps the A0 version or an aftermarket one, would be the quickest answer to this. On a subreddit, the Galloway Precision recoil spring 15# gets a mention as a lighter spring that can run.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by darsenalmex View Post
    I also had two similar malfunctions with the APX. I’m starting to think, overseeing the issues others have had, that the spring is too strong (according to some sites, it is measured at 18lbs but feels heavier).

One fix is to just run them until the spring is weakened enough to be consistent, but I think a new recoil spring, perhaps the A0 version or an aftermarket one, would be the quickest answer to this. On a subreddit, the Galloway Precision recoil spring 15# gets a mention as a lighter spring that can run.
    The spring definitely felt heavier than 18lbs. I think it was at least a 20.

I’m pretty sure the gun would have run fine with a lighter spring.

After the customer service didn’t impress him, my friend traded his APXA1 for a P10C.

The spring definitely felt heavier than 18lbs. I think it was at least a 20.

I’m pretty sure the gun would have run fine with a lighter spring.

After the customer service didn’t impress him, my friend traded his APXA1 for a P10C.

I read in another thread that the standard weight is around 21 lbs. So it is really heavy. I think you're correct about the springs.

That sucks. I picked up an APX last week since I actually enjoy the gun. I did have two malfunctions, which I think I can pin down to the recoil spring itself. Other's experience has been different though of having no issues.

I don't doubt it is over-sprung, but in context, there are a lot of reports on various forums of similar problems with other pistols such as Glock's, HK's, and 9mm 1911's. The common connection to all of these is cheap, lightweight (usually 115gr), training ammo. Defensive ammo in any weight is usually not a problem and usually just moving up in weight to 124gr or 147gr ammo, even in the same family and price point as the 115gr stuff that is causing problems fixes the issue.

I put some of the blame for these problems on the ammo makers that are turning out weak, under powered ammo.

Edit to add: Most of these issues with the 115gr ammo is limited to the first 200 - 300 rounds through the gun. Usually, after the guns have been shot a bit, they'll handle all the cheap/lightweight stuff just fine. It's just a problem with new/fresh recoil springs.

User Tag List