Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Test.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm sure there are answers on many levels.
    This. The fellow who owns this firm used to work in amongst the Davis/Lorcin genre of cheap blowbacks. The HiPoints use the same design in terms of "lockwork"... i.e., the firing pin doubles as the ejector, etc.

I shoot upwards of a dozen of these things every week, that have been seized. Once the thug gun of choice around here, it is slowly being eclipsed in that arena by the Stigma. Still a lot of them out there, however. Tom's (the owner) philosophy is that everybody should be able to afford a gun for protection. Whatever, but the fact is he cannot produce them fast enough to keep up with sales.

They generally work; for a while. But they are made primarily from pot metal, with commensurate "durability".

Last year, our lab put together a proficiency test for firearms examiners. I fired 500 rounds of WWB 9mm ball out of one C9 receiver/barrel and five different slides- 100 rounds per slide. The gun only malfunctioned twice, and one of those was my fault. But get this... at the end of the 500 rounds, it was a smoothbore! No kidding, the rifling was all but gone. I will be VERY surprised if this "test" goes the full distance without something breaking or wearing out.

And they are... interesting... to disassemble. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Last year, our lab put together a proficiency test for firearms examiners. I fired 500 rounds of WWB 9mm ball out of one C9 receiver/barrel and five different slides- 100 rounds per slide. The gun only malfunctioned twice, and one of those was my fault. But get this... at the end of the 500 rounds, it was a smoothbore! No kidding, the rifling was all but gone.
    I mentioned your experience over on Caleb's blog a few days ago.

According to the Hi-Point experts, you're a liar and also apparently my friend, which I need to consider ditching.

So, for Tim's next test (it'll continue, don't deny your ghetto side and love for pot metal), do we all want to start a fund to contribute to? If everyone puts in five bucks, I'm sure it'd help him purchase his next saturday night special. My vote is for a Rohm .38 revolver or a Jimenez.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I mentioned your experience over on Caleb's blog a few days ago.

According to the Hi-Point experts, you're a liar and also apparently my friend, which I need to consider ditching.

So, for Tim's next test (it'll continue, don't deny your ghetto side and love for pot metal), do we all want to start a fund to contribute to? If everyone puts in five bucks, I'm sure it'd help him purchase his next saturday night special. My vote is for a Rohm .38 revolver or a Jimenez.
    The same "experts" who think fine dining is an excursion to Sizzler, followed by a bottle of Boone's Farm wine, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Tell them to contact me (Steve Campbell) at the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab, if they have the nuts. This was witnessed by several other people; I've got better things to do than fabricate anecdotes about a POS cheap handgun.

But this sounds awfully familiar. Before I got banned at Nimrod Central (ostensibly over a comment made on the HKPro Forum ), I mentioned the horrible trigger of the Stigma (S&W SW-VE series) and said it was a cheap pistol... and lord, you would have thought I had pissed on the flag.

Those el cheapo guys must take their hardware seriously...

Tell them to contact me (Steve Campbell) at the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab, if they have the nuts. This was witnessed by several other people; I've got better things to do than fabricate anecdotes about a POS cheap handgun.

But this sounds awfully familiar. Before I got banned at Nimrod Central (ostensibly over a comment made on the HKPro Forum ), I mentioned the horrible trigger of the Stigma (S&W SW-VE series) and said it was a cheap pistol... and lord, you would have thought I had pissed on the flag.

Don't forget that any exploded High Points seen on the internet were faked by haters with hacksaws.

Human nature. If your sample size is one, and it's worked perfectly for you, then anyone else who criticizes it must be a damn liar.

Plus, you folks with "expensive " guns are elitist snobs who think you're better than us good hard-working 'mericans....or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Human nature. If your sample size is one, and it's worked perfectly for you, then anyone else who criticizes it must be a damn liar.

Plus, you folks with "expensive " guns are elitist snobs who think you're better than us good hard-working 'mericans....or something like that.
    Some people have far too much ego and emotional capital invested in their gear. It's silly.

Tell them to contact me (Steve Campbell) at the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab, if they have the nuts.
    I would, but I don't want to feel responsible for the amount of hate mail from trailer parks that you'd receive.

Take their hardware serious? No. Serious about their cheap hardware? I can agree to that. Maybe I will sell them holsters on layaway.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Take their hardware serious? No. Serious about their cheap hardware? I can agree to that. Maybe I will sell them holsters on layaway.
    Don't worry too much about quality, this lot is all about the price point. All you need for a holster is some black cardboard, staples, and a MSRP of $5.00 or so. This will win you the eternal love and admiration of the standard High Point fanboi.

User Tag List