Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Columbia police adopt new 9mm.

Oh, I don't have any issues with the .45 GAP as a cartridge/handgun combo. I have issues with the state of the local SC Police Academy's firearms training. The training officer at Lexington County SD is a pretty switched on guy and he went to the G17 due to the training advantages a 9mm gives. The reasoning (allegedly) behind the switch by the SCHP was bogus...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    ...My actual issued pistols are a Glock 18C and a Kimber Tactical Entry HD II...
    You're issued a Glock 18? That. Is. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Oh, I don't have any issues with the .45 GAP as a cartridge/handgun combo. I have issues with the state of the local SC Police Academy's firearms training. The training officer at Lexington County SD is a pretty switched on guy and he went to the G17 due to the training advantages a 9mm gives. The reasoning (allegedly) behind the switch by the SCHP was bogus...
    Far too often, training is code word for qualifying, and everything devolves to the lowest common denominator.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    You're issued a Glock 18? That. Is. Cool.
    Yup, but it doesn't have mythical super powers. At the end of the day it is just a really fast shooting G17.

Site Supporter
    Yup, but it doesn't have mythical super powers. At the end of the day it is just a really fast shooting G17.
    Oh, I know. We have 9mm submachine guns at work. Full auto fire is vastly overrated in terms of actual practical value, especially applied to small arms, and especially pistols. But I still think that being issued a G18 is...just...cool.

Far too often, training is code word for qualifying, and everything devolves to the lowest common denominator.
    case in point the first officer shooting in that video

Yeah, but I can't think of a better gun to have if you got into a gunfight in an outhouse..............
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Yeah, but I can't think of a better gun to have if you got into a gunfight in an outhouse..............
    I once saw a post-86 dealer sample conversion of a G20 to select fire. The term I heard bandied around for it was "Phonebooth gun", i.e. if you get into a gunfight inside a phone booth, it's the blaster to have.

Yes, SCHP and SCDPS have the .45 GAP. I don't think it is a mistake in the least, but I write that sitting here with a Glock 37 on my hip.

I have the option to carry whatever I choose to carry. My actual issued pistols are a Glock 18C and a Kimber Tactical Entry HD II, but I choose to carry the 37 because it gives me a .45 Glock that actually fits my hands. Also, I was able to piggy back a GSP ammo order for GAP when I couldn't get .40SW or .45 ACP ammo in any quantity. Both my 37 and 38 have proven to be very accurate and reliable, especially my 38.

The GSP issues the G37, and it has performed very well in the shootings in which it has been used. The Pennsylvania and New York State Police have both had success with it as has the Denver Police.
    What dept or agency do you work for that issues a Glock 18c?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

More importantly, when are you coming to New Mexico?!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    What dept or agency do you work for that issues a Glock 18c?
    jlw is a county Sheriff.

User Tag List