Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Columbia police adopt new 9mm.

Looks like they are actually purchasing them for about $311 per pistol, including accessories: http://www.thestate.com/2012/07/11/2...l#.UDZioUR6PcR.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Columbia and Lexington County SD are running 9mms. I think the SCHP has .45 GAP (mistake, IMHO).

Yes, SCHP and SCDPS have the .45 GAP. I don't think it is a mistake in the least, but I write that sitting here with a Glock 37 on my hip.

I have the option to carry whatever I choose to carry. My actual issued pistols are a Glock 18C and a Kimber Tactical Entry HD II, but I choose to carry the 37 because it gives me a .45 Glock that actually fits my hands. Also, I was able to piggy back a GSP ammo order for GAP when I couldn't get .40SW or .45 ACP ammo in any quantity. Both my 37 and 38 have proven to be very accurate and reliable, especially my 38.

The GSP issues the G37, and it has performed very well in the shootings in which it has been used. The Pennsylvania and New York State Police have both had success with it as has the Denver Police.

What duty gear is Columbia issuing for the FNS?

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    What duty gear is Columbia issuing for the FNS?
    The vid showed a Safariland 6360. When my PD was T&Eing the FNS I was told by OMB that the 6360 was instock. FN/OMB were offering a 1:1 trade at that time and also trading duty gear. It had the appearance of an attractive opportunity. The price (agency) with NS is very close to Glock pricing. The FNS looked promising but the "locking up" issue reported by TDI was hard to overlook, especially when FN was not very responsive to inquiries about it. I'm curious if Columbia PD ran into the locking up issue? I guess having FN in town might help resolve any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The rabid .45 guys are about to stroke out, because you know the Moros just ran right through those .38S&W bullets like they were raindrops.
    ROFL picturing this whole thing!
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Looks like they are actually purchasing them for about $311 per pistol, including accessories: http://www.thestate.com/2012/07/11/2...l#.UDZioUR6PcR.
    I'm still amazed by the deal my local PD got when they moved to M&P45s a few years ago.

It is requested that Council approve the purchase of 508 Smith & Wesson, M&P 45 stainless steel pistols and 508 holsters from Smith & Wesson in the amount of $69,940.00.

Smith and Wesson will give the Police Department an even trade of 408 old S&W 4586 pistols for 408 of the new pistols. One hundred new pistols and 508 holsters will be purchased outright, as part of trade.

The Smith & Wesson M&P 45 pistols have been chosen through a test and evaluation process to be the new issued handgun for the Columbus Police Department. The CPD tested three pistols from H&K Weapons and two pistols from Smith & Wesson. The Smith & Wesson M&P 45 was the winner and clearly superior handgun in the Department’s test scenarios. The holsters are also being purchased through Smith & Wesson, which was part of the “full” package deal in order to obtain the best rate for the trade of the old pistols. Smith & Wesson is the manufacturer of the pistol and the trade of the old pistols, and is therefore considered the only known source for this purchase.
    http://ccga1.columbusga.org/e-cap.ns...e?OpenDocument

That works out to around $140 each with gun and holster. Best I can figure is that S&W wanted to keep the contract out of H&K's hands for whatever reason; H&K has a plant here in town.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    I'm still amazed by the deal my local PD got when they moved to M&P45s a few years ago.

http://ccga1.columbusga.org/e-cap.ns...e?OpenDocument

That works out to around $140 each with gun and holster. Best I can figure is that S&W wanted to keep the contract out of H&K's hands for whatever reason; H&K has a plant here in town.
    CPD has long been a S&W agency IIRC. S&W has been pretty good at getting current S&W agencies to adopt the M&P. I expect having H&K right there in town made this one a priority as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    CPD has long been a S&W agency IIRC. S&W has been pretty good at getting current S&W agencies to adopt the M&P. I expect having H&K right there in town made this one a priority as well.
    Oh yeah, they've carried S&Ws for as long as I can remember. Still a hell of a deal any way you slice it. The officers I've talked to here really didn't like the 4586s, so it was a step up for them.
    Last edited by jslaker; 08-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I don't think it's so much a "contract" as it is a "We'll give you some free guns if you talk about it!" situation.
    I wish that would happen to me... i'd talk about my free gun all day long... though i would prefer to talk about free ammo Any takers?

Hopefully, there will be some more P220 police trades on the market soon!

User Tag List