Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The small game/ plinking loads thread

Along the same lines as .38 Special level loads in .357 brass, what are some good .44 Russian loads in .44 Special brass?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Along the same lines as .38 Special level loads in .357 brass, what are some good .44 Russian loads in .44 Special brass?

I have tried slowing down a 240 RNFP bullet, the only one I tried. Looking through my notes they read, dirty, inconsistent velocity, ew no. I found that my .44 special loads like to be above 800fps. To get .44 Russian loads I bought brass and dies.

These were with a 240RNFP from Rim Rock Bullets, I'll pick the best 3.

HP 38, 4g 698fps dirty inconsistent, 5g 820fps meh ok groups.
    HS6, 6.2g 706fps okish, 7g 817fps Second best of my low energy loads
    2400, 11.1g 698fps 12g 790fps Best of...

Site Supporter
    I'll take this opportunity to plug my favorite cartridge, the old .25-20. It was purpose-made to be a small-game round (although many deer have been taken with it), and is truly delightful to shoot. The only recent bolt rifle chambered in it to my knowledge is the Kimber 82....but an old Savage 23B costs next to nothing and is super accurate. Then there's the Remington 25 and Marlin 27-S pumps, the Savage 219 single shot, the Marlin 1894 and Winchester 92 levers, and somewhat more rarely the Winchester 43 bolt and a Sako 46? 461? which I don't believe was imported here but occasionally shows up. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, too. Factory ammo will kill you, but this *is* the reloading forum. One of the shooting forums has a thread on the .25-20 that's hundreds of pages long...

User Tag List