Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad sights inhibit training?

Bad sights inhibit training?

So, my original plan was to suffer with the stock sights on my P30 until more sight options come onto the market early next year (theoretically). I under estimated how much I would loathe the stock sights, though. At least, in comparison with the Heinies I've grown accustomed to.

I'm concerned that spending significant time on training with a sight picture that I actively hate will slow down my progress.

Is that a realistic concern, or am I just being prissy?

I will be curious what others say, but assuming the sights are properly regulated, in my experience sights matter a lot to my "head," and not at all to my timer.

Heinie makes Straight Eights for the P30. Why suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    So, my original plan was to suffer with the stock sights on my P30 until more sight options come onto the market early next year (theoretically). I under estimated how much I would loathe the stock sights, though. At least, in comparison with the Heinies I've grown accustomed to.

I'm concerned that spending significant time on training with a sight picture that I actively hate will slow down my progress.

Is that a realistic concern, or am I just being prissy?
    No. Don't be a pris.

I'd prob get the Heinies.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Steven C. View Post
    This.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
    am I just being prissy?
    Yes.

Seriously, though - learn to manipulate the trigger, draw, do reloads, etc. As long as the sights are lined up, they're lined up and you're good to go.

When you find sights you like, it'll be easier...

Black out the rear dots, paint the front fluorescent orange, and roll with it until you find the sights you want.

I thought i was going to wait for the P30 sights I wanted, too. I gave up; I have heinies now and like them a lot.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I suffered with crappy Glock factory sights for a year, then with not as crappy but still poor sights for 2 more years. Since getting great sights and improving tremendously for the past 2 years, I don't waste any time shooting crappy sights any more.

Life is too short to shoot crappy sights.

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 08-16-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: can't shpell
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

To circle back to the original question, which is whether the stock sights on a P30 would inhibit training, regardless of personal preference, is there anyone that believes that the same shooter with Heinie sights on his P30, versus the stock sights, will be a better shooter after 6 or 12 months following the same training regimen? I certainly prefer the Heinie sights, and have them on some HK pistols, but frankly can't say I shoot them measurably better than the stock sights which regulate better than the Heinie sights on a few HK pistols I have.

Because Heinies aren't cheap, and I want to see if Ameriglo is going to introduce a broad sight selection for the P30. If they do, and if I like them better, then the money I spent on the Heinies would be wasted, which would be sad.

On the other hand, if other shooters had noticed that their training had slowed down or suffered from less than optimal sights, then it would be worth the money to me, even if I only got 6 months of use out of them. Hell, at this point I might just shell out for Heinies because I enjoy shooting with them more (which definitely counts for something) and because they're non-flashlight dependent night sights. I'll try getting some orange on the front and partially/completely blacking the rears on the stock sights first though.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To circle back to the original question, which is whether the stock sights on a P30 would inhibit training, regardless of personal preference, is there anyone that believes that the same shooter with Heinie sights on his P30, versus the stock sights, will be a better shooter after 6 or 12 months following the same training regimen? I certainly prefer the Heinie sights, and have them on some HK pistols, but frankly can't say I shoot them measurably better than the stock sights which regulate better than the Heinie sights on a few HK pistols I have.
    I'm still interested in this question from an academic standpoint. Has anyone noticed a performance dip after swapping sights at all? Or, for that matter, dramatic improvements after swapping sights?

User Tag List