Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picking a tablet

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I have both a iPad 2 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (and a Galaxy Tab2 7.0).
    I prefer the Galaxy by a wide margin due to the open ended app availability, I detest iTunes (actually I hate it with a purple passion). The Android system also allows you a lot more freedom behind the scenes than the locked down iOS.
    To me the iPad feels like a big smart phone and the Galaxy feels like a small computer.
    I have no problems printing from my Android phone or tablet to my Brother networked printer with a Brother print app.
    Our company's app runs on iOS and Android and we test on these tablets constantly. The Samsung Galaxy 10 is pretty astounding. I'm not a super user for other functions like the music or printing but nav and display, that Galaxy seems like the daddy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How is the Nexus holding up, YVK?
    So far so good. I've lost my European power plug adapter and haven't been able to get a replacement on account of stores being closed on Sundays. As a result, I have very little battery left to type a full report for now.

Byron, I think you're almost correct. The nexus rotates when within the apps but not when on home screen.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Byron, I think you're almost correct. The nexus rotates when within the apps but not when on home screen.
    Ahhhhhh - that's my mistake.

I forgot that the stock launcher does not offer homescreen auto-rotation. I run Nova Launcher instead of the stock launcher, which is available to even stock users (i.e. no root or unlocking required). I realize this goes back to your annoyance with having to install a third-party app, and I'll agree with you on that; it's silly that the stock launcher doesn't offer it. With that said, Nova Launcher is "worth it" to me because it also offers tons of other functionality, such as changing the grid size on the home screen, allowing widget resizing/overlap, etc. It really enhances the UI.

It can also change the way that the app-drawer behaves. I'm not a fan of the current implementation that stock Android uses where you swipe from right-to-left to go through each page of apps separately; it means that if you have a lot of apps, you have to make multiple swipes to get through them all. I prefer the fact that Nova lets me go back to the old school way of scrolling from bottom-to-top and having one continuous stream of apps (so I can make one aggressive swipe to get from the first one to the last one). Nova can also change the grid inside the app drawer (i.e. more/less columns or rows).

For printing, if you have a wireless printer like mine it came with its own email address, or I set it up with one, that you can send files to and they will be waiting there when you get home.

I'd like to hear more about non-iPad solutions as we just had an owner turn us down for buying them because they don't support apple products (talk about exposing your ignorance). We need apps like Goodreader, and we need them to work for non-tech people, not the geeks that seem to list the ability to hack into the thing as the #1 benefit of the non-apples.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Byron, thanks for heads up on Nova, I like it better.

After completing 10 day to Europe, I am happy with my Nexus. I think the size is awesome, it fits in my cargo pockets yet is very readable. There were no software glitches. No issues with readability of the screen, even on the beach. The wi-fi connection was reliable, if this says anything about the device. The battery was just enough for 10 hour transatlantic flight. I read books through the OEM reader as well as Kindle and had no problems. Tried a movie playback yesterday and all went fine. As I had said, I am not a sophisticated user, and the device fits my needs perfectly at a fraction of iPad's cost.

P.S. The only negative experience was an inability to navigate a reservation page of one hotel in Paris, although I tend to think it wasn't nexus' fault.
    Last edited by YVK; 08-17-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    P.S. The only negative experience was an inability to navigate a reservation page of one hotel in Paris, although I tend to think it wasn't nexus' fault.
    I fear that mobile browsing will always be awful.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by derekb View Post
    I fear that mobile browsing will always be awful.
    Doubtful.
    I bet in 2 years desktop browsing will be awful and the mobile site will be the default.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Extremely impressed with the Nexus 7. Makes the iPad look like a dinosaur.
    #RESIST

What are thoughts regarding 10" vs 7"? I would be using mostly for home web use with minimal travel. However, I may purchase one for work use to read construction drawings (pdfs) while on site. I'm leaning towards the 10" due to larger screen size. Do you 7" owners ever wish you had a larger screen?

Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    What are thoughts regarding 10" vs 7"? I would be using mostly for home web use with minimal travel. However, I may purchase one for work use to read construction drawings (pdfs) while on site. I'm leaning towards the 10" due to larger screen size. Do you 7" owners ever wish you had a larger screen?
    I have both a 7" and a 10" Galaxy.
    Unless you travel light the 10" is the only way to go IMO.
    I gave the 7" to my 9 year old.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List