Thread: Florida insurance (home/auto) RFI

Florida insurance (home/auto) RFI

I am in the process of shopping for home/auto insurance. I am in the Tampa area, about 30 miles southeast from Tampa. So far it's down to Southern Oak (home) / Travelers (car) vs Progressive (both) for the insurances.

The prices are relatively close. My only question is how is the companies reputations when it comes to claims ?
    Both policies have sinkhole coverage.

Is there any other optional coverage that would good to have (for someone coming down from the North East) ?

I can’t speak about the companies mentioned BUT be prepared to to shop home insurance on a yearly basis. We have had anywhere fro 50% to almost double price increases quoted for renewal for the last several years.

We are shopping for a home in the Tampa area, specifically Dunedin. I was taken aback at the cost of auto insurance as it is more than double what we pay in northern Alabama for essentially the same coverage. Seeing the way Floridians drive, I, perhaps, should not have been surprised.

I suggest, if you have not done so, checking into flood insurance for your home even if you are not in a "flood zone". The sheer amount of development combined with the age of the flood zone maps means you may be able to lock in a good rate now. Even in northern Alabama, we carry flood insurance. This year, for the first time ever in fourteen years in this house, we had a flood. The insurance paid much more than the premiums we paid, and our neighbors without flood insurance paid out many thousands more than we did. We paid several thousand for repairs and for future protection versus paying tens of thousands for the same work.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    We are shopping for a home in the Tampa area, specifically Dunedin. I was taken aback at the cost of auto insurance as it is more than double what we pay in northern Alabama for essentially the same coverage. Seeing the way Floridians drive, I, perhaps, should not have been surprised.

I suggest, if you have not done so, checking into flood insurance for your home even if you are not in a "flood zone". The sheer amount of development combined with the age of the flood zone maps means you may be able to lock in a good rate now. Even in northern Alabama, we carry flood insurance. This year, for the first time ever in fourteen years in this house, we had a flood. The insurance paid much more than the premiums we paid, and our neighbors without flood insurance paid out many thousands more than we did. We paid several thousand for repairs and for future protection versus paying tens of thousands for the same work.
    Yep, I was surprised by the car insurance costs as well. It went up by about 20% compared to my current rates. Car and Driver even has an article about it. I thought people in MA drove poorly...

User Tag List