Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9 vs 45 FMJ

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Apparently works for some SOCOM heavy hitters. LAV posted on M4C that he didn't agree with it then and doesn't now. IIRC he didn't so much care whether it was 9 or .45 but NOT .40. I could be mistaken however.
    Oh, not that I think it has some massive ballistic advantage over either, but just the fact that the default FMJ load is a TMJ with something approaching a flattish meplat, plus it has more BBs in the tank than an equivalently-sized .45.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Oh, not that I think it has some massive ballistic advantage over either, but just the fact that the default FMJ load is a TMJ with something approaching a flattish meplat, plus it has more BBs in the tank than an equivalently-sized .45.
    +1 and the excessive penetration tpd223 referred to has got to come in handy in their work.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

"I always wondered how hard it would be to make a 9mm with a pointy front end (perhaps with a lightweight portion to the core up front like steel or aluminum) and a very sharp flat base. Design the bullet for early yaw in the manner many other bullets, such as Yugo 7.62X39, perform. Then you would get a bullet that feeds well, penetrates well, yaws early and when going backwards acts like a wadcutter. "
    This would be similar in design ideation to the British .303 MkVII or the original 5.45x39 mm M74 FMJ. The problem with doing it in 9 mm is how short the bullet is.

Flat point TMJ semi-wadcutter style pistol bullets do not demonstrate substantially better terminal performance than standard profile FMJ's.

Old time historically effective .38-40 offered very similar capability as .40 S&W--both seem to work as well as any other handgun caliber in actually shooting incidents. If I have to purchase my own ammo, then 9 mm makes the most sense. When not getting as much practice as ideal, many shooters seem better able to maintain acceptable shooting standards for a longer period of time when using 9 mm than other service calibers. Modern robust expanding 9 mm loads are approaching terminal performance capabilities of the .40. 9 mm pistols tend to last longer than .40's.

Ultimately ALL the service calibers work acceptably well when fed quality JHP loads and I would happily carry any of them if given free ammo to practice with.

Those guys don't always have to use FMJ. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    This would be similar in design ideation to the British .303 MkVII or the original 5.45x39 mm M74 FMJ. The problem with doing it in 9 mm is how short the bullet is.
    Exactly, but... I couldn't help but think after the bullet does a 180 that passing through the target as basically a wadcutter is a more efficient wounding mechanism that a RN FMJ, that and sideways 9mm bullet > point forward 9mm RN bullet, as far as soft tissue wounding effect.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Those guys don't always have to use FMJ. Just sayin.
    Wasn't necessarily talking about those guys, just going with "if you had to use FMJ" as a premise.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Wasn't necessarily talking about those guys, just going with "if you had to use FMJ" as a premise.
    Gotcha.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yeah, if I absolutely *had* to use an FMJ and *had* to pick one caliber in this wholly artificial hypothetical - I'd take a .40. Still probably wouldn't lose much sleep if I had a 9mm instead.

User Tag List