Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevlar holster

Kevlar holster

One thing I have learned, is that whenever a good idea pops into my head, I should google it first. My idea was the kevlar holster, and I was not the first to think of it. Here is the link to my idea before I had it. Discuss

http://www.smokinggunholsters.com/
    Taking a break from social media.

Dude plays The Scorpions, I am down with that.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Discuss
    This product needs a celebrity endorsement.

"Because shooting yourself hurts." <-- awesome

Seems like a good concept for AIWB, though I have no idea how it might be implemented. Between the Gadget and some kevlar around the muzzle, AIWB could be a lot safer...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Between the Gadget and some kevlar around the muzzle, AIWB could be a lot safer...
    That was my thought, though you'd have to affix the kevlar very firmly to ensure that a ND wouldn't just drive a bullet AND a wad of kevlar into your femoral artery. Such a holster would also likely be much more expensive than current offerings. Also, there would likely be concessions to concealability.

Still...

Resident kydex meisters, what do you make of all of this nonsense?

Did anyone notice he cleared his holster, then shot himself?

Kevlar isn't going to give him the "bullet proof" properties he's seeking for a holster design. I'd suggest rigid armor plate for that application, if you can really call it an application. The successful design of bullet resistant forms is much more complicated than it first appears. It is significantly more than just replacing kydex with kevlar and hoping for the best.

Might have been better off not hitting the safety so soon, at least IMHO.

GJM has had this idea a long while ago, and I think we even discussed it in passing in one of the threads. I am looking at my soft armor plates now and how thick they are and i don't think this is even remotely feasible.

I could see it possibly working sewn into the bottom of a leather AIWB holster.
    Having a multi-layered Kevlar "pouch" sewn into the bottom of the holster to catch a round might be workable.
    Body armor is thicker to minimize deflection (blunt trauma) to the chest, the holster pouch would just have to trap the bullet, not necessarily minimize deflection.
    How many layers of Kevlar does it take to trap a 124gr. +P 9mm?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

With the thick spacer pads going on the bottom side of so many AIWB holsters these days, there's probably more space to work with there than your traditional thin SSIWB rigs.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

This is an interesting idea for an AIWB holster. Watching this thread as I'm about to order something new soon.

I've wondered if something along the lines of what I've seen on cowboy holsters could be done. They often have a deflector plate at the muzzle:

I'm guessing these only work because they are typically running soft shooting lead bullets, and you also have the problem that you've now directed the round away from you, potentially injuring someone else.

The kevlar trap seems like a much better plan if it's workable. I wonder if several rivets attaching the kevlar pouch to the kydex holster body will transfer enough energy to destroying the kydex to stop the round?

User Tag List