Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Threadocker vs loctite

Site Supporter
    Any hardware store, auto parts store, or even Walmart will have your basic red & blue formula thread lockers.

Screws on rails, glock front sights, dovetailed rear sights etc. get blue (242).

Staked in parts, dovetailed front sights, etc. get red, or shaft ret compound.
    Rarely I'll use red on a threaded fastener, but blue usually is best.

Hilton Yam's blog had a good rundown on the use of Loctite for gunsmith inch apps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Screws on rails, glock front sights, dovetailed rear sights etc. get blue (242).
    IMO, 242 is a bad choice for front sights. They can get quite hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    Thank you.

What type do I need for what I put above, and where is the best place to find it?
    These. (Link to Loctite's page)
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    IMO, 242 is a bad choice for front sights. They can get quite hot.
    It's sufficient, IMHO. Going to red greatly increases the chances of breaking the tiny little screw if you later decide to remove the sight, even with heat added. If you view front sights as a disposable item, or as something you'll never change, feel free to use red, or even 620 if it makes you happy.

Google Hilton Yam's blog post -- I'll post a link later when I have a real computer in front of me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    or even 620 if it makes you happy.
    Actually, I do use 620 for Glock front sights. I have had issues with both 242 and 272 coming loose. I've never had an issue removing the screws and moving sights around, even with 620.

I get my guns hotter than many. On some range days, I get my guns so hot you can't touch that tiny slide lock without significant discomfort.
    Last edited by JV_; 10-24-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Hilton Yam's Glock sight installation

I don't trust 242 on the front even though it's what Hilton recommends. I don't want it having a remote chance of loosening. I use the Permatex version of Loctite 620.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Actually, I do use 620 for Glock front sights. I have had issues with both 242 and 272 coming loose. I've never had an issue removing the screws and moving sights around, even with 620.

I get my guns hotter than many. On some range days, I get my guns so hot you can't touch that tiny slide lock without significant discomfort.
    I guess that settles that, then. Apparently, my ammo budget isn't allowing me to run mine hard enough.

Site Supporter
    This is the article I was trying to refer to earlier, for a quick intro to the use of Loctite on firearms. (It was actually from Tim Lau, not Hilton Yam)

Guide to Thread Locking Compounds
    http://10-8training.blogspot.com/201...compounds.html

He doesn't mention 620, but that's basically a high temp version of 638.
    Low strength 222 "Purple" and "Wicking" 290 aren't mentioned either, but occasionally have some utility, as discussed earlier in the thread.
    Last edited by Dave J; 10-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.

User Tag List