Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Threadocker vs loctite

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by senorlechero View Post
    Next question: I've heard a few places that using loctite 620 on front sights is recommended as it resists heat to a higher temp. However the green thread locker from permatex says its a penetrating formula for use on pre assembled items, and not a high heat one. Are these the same formula?
    620 is the shaft retaining compound, and although it has a green dye (IIRC), it is NOT even close to your everyday "green loctite", which is the "wicking" 290 formula.

Quote Originally Posted by senorlechero View Post
    Is this necessary for gun parts? Dave Dawson says he uses lacquer thinner in his Glock sight install video.
    Lacquer thinner leaves a residue. I prefer acetone. I didn't know loc tite made a primer, butI think I will get some.

Brownells is also a source for the Loctite primer. And, it does work well. I will typically degrease both male and female threads with alcohol, prime and allow the primer to dry before apply the thread locking compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    620 is the shaft retaining compound, and although it has a green dye (IIRC), it is NOT even close to your everyday "green loctite", which is the "wicking" 290 formula.
    How are they different? Sorry, but I don't know what shaft retaining compound means.

What I'm getting from this is: I should use acetone to degrease, then the primer to prep and the red and blue permatex are fine, but I should use Loctite 620 for front sights?

Site Supporter
    Shaft retaining compounds, like #620, were designed for locking press-fit gears or collars in position on metal shafts. What makes #620 ideal for many gunsmithing purposes, is that it fills voids in metal better than the regular compounds intended for threaded fasteners.

#290 is an especially runny medium strength liquid that can "wick" its way into fasteners that are already assembled. Being so thin, it does not fill voids well, nor is it nearly as strong as #620.

You might find it useful to look over Loctite's web site, when time permits.

HTH,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Shaft retaining compounds, like #620, were designed for locking press-fit gears or collars in position on metal shafts. What makes #620 ideal for many gunsmithing purposes, is that it fills voids in metal better than the regular compounds intended for threaded fasteners.

#290 is an especially runny medium strength liquid that can "wick" its way into fasteners that are already assembled. Being so thin, it does not fill voids well, nor is it nearly as strong as #620.

You might find it useful to look over Loctite's web site, when time permits.

HTH,
    Dave

Thank you for the explanation. Are you referring to their consumer site, or the commercial site, henkel? Those are the only 2 I could find.

Thanks for the input, from what I can tell 242, 262 and 620 are ideal for gun applications.

The purple, low strength, 222, is good for things like 1911 grip screws.
    If you Google the individual Loctite grades you will come across PDF's of the material properties.

Hate to bump an old thread, but I am con-fuzzzed...

What do I have here, these are the types I have always bought, but now I see the discussion of Red vs Blue vs Green and various numbers... What kind of loctite do I have here?

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  78.5 KB

Is this stuff sufficient for screws on rails, front sight posts etc... ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I am con-fuzzzed...

What do I have here, these are the types I have always bought, but now I see the discussion of Red vs Blue vs Green and various numbers... What kind of loctite do I have here?

Is this stuff sufficient for screws on rails, front sight posts etc... ?

Thanks
    What you have there is super glue. NOT sufficient for gunsmithing applications.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    What you have there is super glue. NOT sufficient for gunsmithing applications.
    Thank you.

What type do I need for what I put above, and where is the best place to find it?

User Tag List