Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeO View Post
    FWIW, my sister and I both have "new" M&P9s that are accurate, and the date on the test fired case is 11-17-2011.

Only a few hundred rounds through each so far, but no problems at all.
    That's about the date mine is test-fired, and it was crap before barrel replacement. It is slightly better than crap after.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    FWIW, my sister and I both have "new" M&P9s that are accurate, and the date on the test fired case is 11-17-2011.

Only a few hundred rounds through each so far, but no problems at all.
    What kind of groups is it shooting benched at 25, out of curiosity?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Hey, I thought that was MY line.

Site Supporter
    Benched my new to me (2011) M&P9 at 25 yards for the first time today. Mind you i've never done much bench resting or a lot of 25 yard shooting for that matter. Average for 5, 5 shot group's with 115gr Federal Champion ( only ammo I had with me, still have a ton of it stocked up bought on sale) was 5 1/4" ( best 3 shot's averaged 1.75"). Granted it was only 5 group's with one type of ammo. FWIW I used a B8 repair center and aimed with a CTC Lasergrip with a sandbag support.

We aren't as young as we used to be, don't try as hard or care as much... we can do 4 - 5, so they are better than that in good hands w younger eyes who care.

If they were noticeably worse than our other stuff we would have noticed by now, and we haven't. Not any harder to hit a soda can at 25 offhand for example...
    Deja vu DVC: In archery we have three goals; to shoot accurately, to shoot powerfully, to shoot rapidly.
    - De Re Strategica of Syrianus Magister @525AD

We aren't as young as we used to be, don't try as hard or care as much... we can do 4 - 5, so they are better than that in good hands w younger eyes who care.

If they were noticeably worse than our other stuff we would have noticed by now, and we haven't. Not any harder to hit a soda can at 25 offhand for example...

The problem is that the M&P's precision is questionable past 15 yards and w/o measured results one person calling them accurate/precise doesn't give an accurate representation for others as everybody's definition varies.

Some new M&Ps are "accurate", and some new Glocks are "reliable". Roll your dice?

If I can do 4 at 25 w them, these are not dogs. Can't speak for other guns.

So don't buy a new Glock or a new M&P until you haven't heard about any problems for a few years?

I'm just not letting this stuff drive me crazy anymore...
    Last edited by MikeO; 07-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Deja vu DVC: In archery we have three goals; to shoot accurately, to shoot powerfully, to shoot rapidly.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

I'm sorry, I was looking for data. I understand that shooting groups from a bench is like watching paint dry. Never mind, then; carry on.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm sorry, I was looking for data. I understand that shooting groups from a bench is like watching paint dry. Never mind, then; carry on.
    I'll lend mine to a good shot who likes to do that that and get back to you.

Decision Help

Hello all! Looking for some help with a purchase of a new handgun. First off I am aware some gun ranges offer rental guns to shoot and honestly that would be perfect for me....however I live in a somewhat smaller town and have no such thing here. Just outdoor ranges that do not offer rentals. So I'm trying to do as much research as possible and getting as many testimonials as I can. I'm looking for a 9mm and from what I've read so far I'm leaning towards either a S&W M&P Model 9 or the Springfield XD tactical 9mm. Does anybody have any testimonials or comparisons based on personal experience on either of these handguns? Also I'm keeping my mind open so any other recommendations for a good 9mm will be considered. Thank you for in advance!

User Tag List