Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

Given the problems the FBI and others have had with Les Baer 1911's, she might want to look at other more proven options.

For example, a LW version of this, perhaps with a short M1911A1 trigger: http://pistol-training.com/archives/6942...

Edit, answered already
    Last edited by fuse; 07-17-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Given the problems the FBI and others have had with Les Baer 1911's, she might want to look at other more proven options.

For example, a LW version of this, perhaps with a short M1911A1 trigger: http://pistol-training.com/archives/6942...

No offense Doc, but the problem with those particular 1911's was that they were based on Para-Ordnance P14-45 double stack turds that Les was expected to polish to perfection. We know how that went...

In wading through this thread I was pleased to find a mention of the Walther P99. Despite all the recent press and attention given to the PPQ, the P99 is still very much with us and available from Walther. Personally, I find this superior to the PPQ (I own both), and the fact it is available in a compact version is just icing on the cake.

It seems like a long shot, so to speak, but I'd love to see some comparative studies and experiences using this fine design vs. some more recent contenders. The Walther P99 is a very fine weapon and in light of the OP's initial question, I would put it up against the P30, the Glock and the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestickfilms View Post
    I was thinking of this myself, she really likes my Les Baer 1911, and since I'm in Cali 10 rounds is max anyway.
    My only concern would be weight, I'll have to see if I can find a 9mm 1911 around she can try.
    Pretty sure nearly every new shooter will pick a 9mm 1911 vs. any modern plastic.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Pretty sure nearly every new shooter will pick a 9mm 1911 vs. any modern plastic.
    The 1911 is far bigger, far heavier, has more safeties to contend with, lower capacity, and unless the buyer goes for a cheap brand it will also be more expensive. Even Kimber and Smith 9mm 1911s go for over a grand.

Site Supporter
    A lot of people buy plastic guns because they watched some stupid youtube video of a guy dragging it behind his truck, then throwing it in a lake, and shooting a mag through it.

Or because they heard some story about a super elite guy that recommends them.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    What he said.

Most people in the market for a handgun don't know what they don't know. I certainly didn't...which is why I bought like all of them at one point or another. It took time, experience, and making a lot of mistakes to figure some of the important lessons out. I'm a particularly bad student, it turns out...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The 1911 is far bigger, far heavier, has more safeties to contend with, lower capacity, and unless the buyer goes for a cheap brand it will also be more expensive. Even Kimber and Smith 9mm 1911s go for over a grand.
    I won't pretend they're easy to come by, but an lwc or CCO gives up only capacity; thumb safeties are a good thing, and 1911s are much kinder to people who wear 's' size gloves. If money isn't a real concern a Californian could do a lot worse if that's what you dig.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I did not explain myself well.

What I meant was, say you take a new shooter to the range. You give him or her an M&P, a Glock, an LEM HK, a sig, and a 1911 in 9mm, with 20 rounds for each gun, I believe 95% will choose the 1911.

Not saying it's the right choice (it isn't) but for a noob shooting slow for the first time, that single action trigger will seem to be "the best" and they'll probably shoot it the best, too. Since its heavy, it will seem to have less recoil vs these plastic guns that damn near jump out of his/her hands. How could anyone possibly shoot these plastic things fast, much less accurately, he/she will think.

Letting a new shooter who's trying to decide on a gun shoot a 9mm 1911 is a dangerous idea.
    Last edited by fuse; 07-17-2012 at 09:56 PM.

User Tag List