Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: What handgun should I get?

I know this is the pistol "Training" forum so I won't argue that she shouldn't get some, that said just because she doesn't have a Fast coin doesn't mean she doesn't know how to shoot or what fits her hand. I just sat down with her and my 3 HKs and got to the bottom of what she feels works for her with the HK45 and what doesn't with the P30. Mostly it comes down to the trigger, the P30s trigger sits just a bit too far forward for her to get a good purchase with the pad of her finger (even with the slim backstrap). On the HK45 it falls under her finger perfectly, she also noticed the much shorter reset of the HK45 and my USPc. So I think the answer will probably be a 9mm USP or USPc since both the P2K and the P30 have the longer reset and more forward trigger.

There are some local ranges that have the USPs so I should be able to get her some trigger time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong in that the P30 and P2000 share the same basic trigger setup Vs. the USP and HK45?

Quote Originally Posted by Firestickfilms View Post
    I know this is the pistol "Training" forum so I won't argue that she shouldn't get some, that said just because she doesn't have a Fast coin doesn't mean she doesn't know how to shoot or what fits her hand. I just sat down with her and my 3 HKs and got to the bottom of what she feels works for her with the HK45 and what doesn't with the P30. Mostly it comes down to the trigger, the P30s trigger sits just a bit too far forward for her to get a good purchase with the pad of her finger (even with the slim backstrap). On the HK45 it falls under her finger perfectly, she also noticed the much shorter reset of the HK45 and my USPc. So I think the answer will probably be a 9mm USP or USPc since both the P2K and the P30 have the longer reset and more forward trigger.

There are some local ranges that have the USPs so I should be able to get her some trigger time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong in that the P30 and P2000 share the same basic trigger setup Vs. the USP and HK45?
    Why not try the HK45 compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm giving serious consideration to not opening threads with "1911" in the title anymore. Ironic, considering that's a '66 Colt in a Galco Royal Guard in my avatar...
    Tamara...... No kidding, I think most of us who have been around a year or two online could predict the first dozen posts in any 1911 thread nearly verbatim.

We are diminished
    I'm having a difficult time understanding how the P30 -- which is capable of being configured with a much narrower and shallower grip -- doesn't allow the same reach as an HK45.

Also, I'd humbly suggest that you not take "feel" into consideration too much. There are female LE/mil all over the world who have Gun A Mod 0 issued to them and are told deal with it. They do, often quite successfully. Worrying about whether a perceived "sweet spot" on her finger pad contacts a particular spot on the trigger, for example, is getting way ahead of the horse.

I'd instead suggest first making a list of guns that you and she have confidence in from a functionality standpoint. Then have her actually shoot a box or two of ammo through each one. Anything that doesn't work in her hands gets rejected. From among the rest, she should pick the one she likes best. Once she's picked the gun, she should practice with it. Take a class, practice with you, practice on her own, whatever... but she needs to run the gun as if it was the only gun she had rather than trying to compare it to others and rethinking her selection.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Here is an interesting question for typical XD buyers -- how many buy the pistol to get the grip safety, how many buy it in spite of the grip safety, and how many buy it without even knowing it has a grip safety? My point was this "Navy Seal" was clueless that the XD even had a grip safety. I tried to show him how the grip safety works, so he could determine whether it liked it or not. I am a guy that has to pin every 1911 grip safety, so I will not be buying a plastic pistol with a grip safety.
    When I bought my XD the grip safety was a feature on my PROs list. Since it was my first pistol, the extra safety was attractive and I have used it from the beginning when re-holstering, by simply placing my thumb on the striker indicator thus releasing the safety, and preventing trigger movement.

After a couple years of use however, I made the decision to move away from it (XDs) in favor of the HK DA/SA platform. For me, the XD was a great stepping stone to where I am now, especially as I work on AIWB and riding the hammer while holstering. I shot it quite well and never had any issues using it, but I also had never pushed myself to use skill sets which I now know to be much more important than I once thought they were.

I credit the fine folks here at P-F.com for helping me gain truly valuable information to make an informed decision when it was time to "grow". I guess it's like the old cliche: Friends don't let friends keep shooting mediocre platforms... But they can be useful at times.

--
    Sent from my personal Droid. Please excuse any typos, my Droid's kinda stupid. (°_°)
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm having a difficult time understanding how the P30 -- which is capable of being configured with a much narrower and shallower grip -- doesn't allow the same reach as an HK45.
    I had the same reaction, but there is something about the dimentions of the P30 that make it less ergonomic than the 45. Even though when I put one on top of the other the triggers seem to line up when we grip each weapon there is a subtle but real difference on where the finger lands. I think it has to do with the palm swell and height of the grip. I can reach both fine myself and it doesn't bother me but for her it just doesn't work.

Also, I'd humbly suggest that you not take "feel" into consideration too much. There are female LE/mil all over the world who have Gun A Mod 0 issued to them and are told deal with it. They do, often quite successfully. Worrying about whether a perceived "sweet spot" on her finger pad contacts a particular spot on the trigger, for example, is getting way ahead of the horse.
    For a police office with a comitment to a career that's reasonable. I'm trying to get her to become engaged in the sport and learn to enjoy training so she can become proficient. If I stick my P30 in her hand and say "deal with it" she'll just stay home when I go to the range.

I'd instead suggest first making a list of guns that you and she have confidence in from a functionality standpoint. Then have her actually shoot a box or two of ammo through each one. Anything that doesn't work in her hands gets rejected. From among the rest, she should pick the one she likes best.
    This is essentially what we did 2 years ago when we bought her the P226. She was quite fond of the gun, shot it well, and felt comfortable with it. However she would/could not learn the DA pull and since there is no saftey for condition 1 we felt it was a bad choice for her.

Now having excluded the XD/XDM platform that pretty much leaves us with only one manufacturer that meets the above criteria. HK. However the P30 doesn't make the cut for the reasons mentioned above. The good news is she could care less about a blocky slide or a modern look as long as it feels right and shoots to point of aim. We'll try a USP, USPc and a P2000 LEM.

Once she's picked the gun, she should practice with it. Take a class, practice with you, practice on her own, whatever... but she needs to run the gun as if it was the only gun she had rather than trying to compare it to others and rethinking her selection.
    This is where I'm trying to get her to go. Once she's comfortable she'll stick with the gun for the long haul. As with many relationships though I'll get much farther with the carrot than the stick.
    Last edited by Firestickfilms; 07-17-2012 at 01:17 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestickfilms View Post
    For a police office with a comitment to a career that's reasonable. I'm trying to get her to become engaged in the sport and learn to enjoy training so she can become proficient. If I stick my P30 in her hand and say "deal with it" she'll just stay home when I go to the range.
    I wouldn't say "deal with it." I'd say, "Don't worry about it!" If it's really coming down to exactly where on her trigger finger she contacts the gun, IMHO she's getting lost in a very tiny and possibly unimportant detail. Whoever put the idea in her head that there was a universally correct trigger finger location was wrong. Better to disabuse her of that idea as early as possible regardless of what gun she decides to pick up.

"I think it has to do with the palm swell and height of the grip. "
    Dremel Tool.......

If trigger finger position is the issue, how about a high quality LW 9mm 1911--ToddG seems to be proving a good one can work well.

I recently aquired my first 1911, a Les Baer, after shooting mostly HKs for the last 3 years. I have to say I've quite enjoyed the experience. I even took 3rd place in the 1911 class at a local action pistol match the first time I shot it.
    It's not a gun I'm quite ready to trust my life to (although the gun has run 2000+ rounds without a single hiccup) it has more to do with my personal comfort. That said it hasn't taken me long to appreciate why there are so many "1911 people" in the community, there is certainly no gun I'm more accurate with in slow fire.

I was thinking of this myself, she really likes my Les Baer 1911, and since I'm in Cali 10 rounds is max anyway.
    My only concern would be weight, I'll have to see if I can find a 9mm 1911 around she can try.

User Tag List