Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Ban-Compliant Defensive Rifles in the 2020s

Got bored of the plain black stock, and with rain all last week, I painted the MVP patrol stock.

Name:  IMG_20230506_145400322-01.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  100.4 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Does anyone even make any of those anymore? Edit - a takedown pump...doing a detail strip/disassemble is possible too, but now it's open to losing parts in transit, which I don't want to really deal with if I can avoid it...
    You don't need to detail strip it--just remove the barrel by unscrewing a cap forward of the magazine that allows you to remove the barrel.

I meant like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 without an extended magazine where you can easily unscrew the barrel and make it a smaller package so you can take into your hotel room and store iit n a large sized suitcase. For air travel the longarm has to be in a separate locked case, but once you get off the plane you can put the disassembled shotgun into your suitcase to bring it into the hotel.

Here is my NY state solution: A double barreled shotgun--Spartan made by Biakal in Russia I picked it up at a gun show. It is good because it can be taken apart into a small package. I also like the fact that it has a singe trigger because doubles with two triggers bash your thumb during recoil when you pull the trigger that is further back. I don't like the fact that it is limited to two rounds and I would almost never suggest anyone get a double for home defense. But in this situation I am putting a premium on the ability to break it down into a small package over cartridge capacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So, I'm a bit behind on asking this question.

End of the month, I'm taking an road trip thru New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado.

I'm pretty much an AR-15 & G19 type of gun. (and shit, I need to deal with my AR15 pistol before I leave) I'm sorta assuming that those won't be kosher in Colorado, and possibly Utah?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post

End of the month, I'm taking an road trip thru New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado.

I'm pretty much an AR-15 & G19 type of gun. (and shit, I need to deal with my AR15 pistol before I leave) I'm sorta assuming that those won't be kosher in Colorado, and possibly Utah?
    Why wouldn’t those guns be okay in Utah and Colorado?

Colorado has a magazine capacity limit of 15rds, unless that has changed very recently, but as far as I know, no actual guns are banned vs what is kosher in other states.

Zero issues with Utah.

Utah is one of the most gun-friendly states in the nation. As stated above, there will be no issues here.

Thanks y'all. I'm not as current on other State's gun laws as I should be, so I figured y'all could set me straight faster than I could research.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Zero issues with Utah.
    Is Utah going anti gun now too?
    If you told me Colorado would be what it is when I worked for the RNC in 2005, I would have laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by High Cross View Post
    Is Utah going anti gun now too?
    If you told me Colorado would be what it is when I worked for the RNC in 2005, I would have laughed.
    Utah, outside of SLC-to-Provo metro area is pretty damn conservative. The bigger cities have always been more liberal. IMHO, they are getting worse over time. And spreading. How long before we "go purple" is anyone's guess. "Silicon Slopes" hasn't helped things. But as of now, Utah on the whole is quite pro-gun, and that likely wont be changing much very soon.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    This is one of my CA Compliant AR's.

It is a Colt M4 2013 model that my dad modified many years ago. It was definitely 2015 funky with a weird free float tube, giant scope, and suspect trigger. I rebuilt it into a basic carbine.

First thing I did was remove the front sight, remove the funky free float tube, remove the barrel and cleaned everything up. I then installed the delta ring assembly, the hand guard cap, the front sight and a small muzzle break. I put everything back on the upper and installed a LMT L8A rear sight and the upper was mostly done. Next I removed the ambi-safety and the suspect trigger. I cleaned out the lower and installed a LaRue MBT 2S trigger, a standard safety, and a Strike Industries MegaFin grip. On the buffer tube, I installed Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock. I put a matching Magpul MOE hand guard on the upper and the project was complete.

I have to say that after trying all of the different "Fins", the Mega Fin works great and is comfortable to use.

Before heading to the range, I set up the L8A sight for the RIBZ method and headed out for some shooting. I also brought a simple AR15 rack to mount in my trailer that I keep on the property. We mounted the rack and a small shelf then headed over to the range.

It only took a few rounds to get a good 50 yard zero and the rifle ran great. Everything worked perfect together and the rifle was a joy to shoot. After it was sighted in, my son and I spent the afternoon breaking clays on the 100 yard berm (as far as we can shoot at this location). After that we took the rifle for a trip around the property to check fences and the perimeter of the property.

All in all it is a very handy and useful rifle.

Here are some pics:

A couple of more clicks to the right and the 50 yard zero was set.

Name:  IMG_4787.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  39.7 KB

Here is the rack in my trailer.

Name:  IMG_4785.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  47.2 KB

And the rifle out in the wild.

Name:  IMG_4801.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  63.8 KB

User Tag List