Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wonder how often electronic locks fail, requiring folks to break into their own homes.

(Sort of like the electronic safe misadventures which have been reported.)

I don't know the answer, which is why I posted this.
    I wouldn’t have only electronic locks on either.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I wouldn’t have only electronic locks on either.
    Not exactly sure what you mean by this.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I wonder how often electronic locks fail, requiring folks to break into their own homes.

Mine also have a traditional key. I keep an unmarked key hidden in the garage, just in case.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter

The 2 models I have had both can be opened with a key in any worst case scenario, and can be locked manually without either the electronics or the key. I carry the key with me all the time, but nobody else in the household does.

The model I have currently runs a couple years on one set of batteries, and is good about giving you ample warning that the batteries are getting weak. That lock is the one electronic device I own that has never had a hiccup. Hope I didn’t just curse myself.

Anecdotally I have yet to hear of a problem, but that is only a sample size of 7 locks over maybe 10 years from 3 families so not worth much.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The 2 models I have had both can be opened with a key in any worst case scenario, and can be locked manually without either the electronics or the key. I carry the key with me all the time, but nobody else in the household does.

The model I have currently runs a couple years on one set of batteries, and is good about giving you ample warning that the batteries are getting weak. That lock is the one electronic device I own that has never had a hiccup. Hope I didn’t just curse myself.

Anecdotally I have yet to hear of a problem, but that is only a sample size of 7 locks over maybe 10 years from 3 families so not worth much.
    Do you mind saying what brand/model? I've got a big-box fingerprint reader lock that works fine, but it eats batteries like crazy and I'm not crazy about the "firmware" updates that get pushed (poorly) by the manufacturer. In the 3 years I've had it, we've had four firmware pushes, none of which ever reached my smartphone without significant hassles.

I guess that's the point I was getting at. You still need to have a key on you or secreted somewhere.

The auto locking function of the electronic lock is a convenience perhaps...but I don't see it as a solution to simply locking the door...(since there's still a chance I'll need that key.)

I'll stick with the old school method.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Do you mind saying what brand/model? I've got a big-box fingerprint reader lock that works fine, but it eats batteries like crazy and I'm not crazy about the "firmware" updates that get pushed (poorly) by the manufacturer. In the 3 years I've had it, we've had four firmware pushes, none of which ever reached my smartphone without significant hassles.
    I have a Schlage Encode Plus, that is integrated with my Apple HomeKit home automation. It’s not cheap, but it works.
    Based on how well mine works my sister-in-law got the slightly cheaper non-plus version I think.

I went to electronic locks because I could NOT get the kids, when little, to consistently keep the doors locked (or even my wife at times). With elocks they’re always locked.

Key backup enables u to get in if the lock fails, however, in 18 yrs of using them, I’ve never had a failure. Wear out, yes. Batteries need replacing, yes. But I’ve always had warning to replace. Never locked out.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this.
    I wouldn’t have only electronic exterior locks on my house (I want at least one keyed entryway or a key backup) and I wouldn’t have a gun safe without a keyed backup.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I wouldn’t have only electronic exterior locks on my house (I want at least one keyed entryway or a key backup) and I wouldn’t have a gun safe without a keyed backup.
    Right. So, in my case, with just me, the wife and dog...I see no benefit over just having a keyed lock. Others' mileage will vary.

User Tag List