Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Lock Your Doors

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yes, from a few days ago.

This has become a yearly spring ritual when a certain bear emerges from hibernation and remembers the sunflower seed my wife used to keep on the porch. No seed there this year, but I guess he decided to take a gander anyway. :-0
    This reminds me of the title story in a Patrick McManus book:

Name:  519EnILN8SL._SY466_.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  27.8 KB

I tried to find a copy of the story on the internet but was unsuccessful. It's hilarious.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    In Texas you can, as long as it's nighttime. /true
    Yeah, but.....you may not be arrested at the time, but the case will most likely still go before a Grand Jury. And that is completely aside from the wrongful death civil suit that will be brought by the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I’d be reluctant to own a car that is attractive or attention getting. Been looking at stick shift single cab F350’s in white.
    A group in this area targets 4-door white pickups because they are ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    It seems like this area seems to have a correlation to what I saw in Florida, basements seem to be a rarity compared to where I grew up...
    We don't have basements here....because we are at sea level.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

So my wife comes out of our house to walk the dog around 11:00PM on a very foggy, drizzly night.....couldn't see across the street....as soon as our dog cleared the door his nose went up and he began doing his usual...up on his hind legs growling like a tiger...next thing, 3 guys run out of or neighbors driveway across the street headed for the corner.....guess they were about to boost the neighbors car parked in the driveway........good thing my wife is strong and can hold him back....almost.

Name:  kato.3.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  53.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Where there's a will, there's a way! When I was stationed at Orlando, some of the base buildings had basement levels... and continuously running pumps to keep them from flooding. One of the jobs of the roving patrol was to listen for the pump failure alarms...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    ...as soon as our dog cleared the door his nose went up and he began doing his usual...up on his hind legs growling like a tiger...next thing, 3 guys run out of or neighbors driveway across the street headed for the corner.....guess they were about to boost the neighbors car parked in the driveway........good thing my wife is strong and can hold him back....almost.

Name:  kato.3.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  53.5 KB
    Not just a pretty face, that pup.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Yeah, but.....you may not be arrested at the time, but the case will most likely still go before a Grand Jury. And that is completely aside from the wrongful death civil suit that will be brought by the family.
    You can certainly get sued civilly but are protected in TX by a very brief, clearly worded immunity for justifiable self defense.

For the benefit of others that might not know.... emphasis is mine...

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/PE.9.htm#D
    Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

and.....

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D.../htm/CP.83.htm
    CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE

TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 83. USE OF FORCE OR DEADLY FORCE

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Not just a pretty face, that pup.

That's the Thousand Yard stare..........

Name:  IMG_0413.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  28.7 KB

Yin and Yang 1000 yard stare
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter

A group in this area targets 4-door white pickups because they are ubiquitous.

In general we don't have basements in Texas because a basements primary function is to get the foundation below the frost line to prevent shifting and cracking during the freeze-thaw cycle. Since the ground doesn't freeze here... we don't need basements and slabs are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    You can certainly get sued civilly but are protected in TX by a very brief, clearly worded immunity for justifiable self defense.

For the benefit of others that might not know.... emphasis is mine...

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/PE.9.htm#D

and.....

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D.../htm/CP.83.htm
    I remember reading a story about a guy who saw two men breaking into his neighbors house. He shot both of them on his neighbors property. He was never criminally charged. That was somewhere in TX awhile ago. I would never find that news story but my memory is still pretty good.

Edit.

I did find it. He shot them on his property. Apparently they confronted him. 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ho...ng_controversy
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-18-2024 at 07:02 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List