Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eval of ballistic protection of popular shooting glasses

FWIW, in 2008 I was issued both Gentex glasses and about mid tour, Revision Sawflys.

Funny sunglasses story. I kept my "good" eye pro on my IBA for missions outside the base. For general walking around, my Battle Buddy picked up a few pairs of cheap sunglasses from Dillon for about 6 bucks a pair. They looked decent and worked well. They finally broke a couple of months back.

The Fobbits who were hot for cool guy gear used to ask us about our sunglasses - on the assumption that since ours were different, they were somehow "cooler", LOL. We pretty much screwed up our opportunity to sell the Fobbits 6 dollar sunglasses for 60 bucks a set when we revealed how inexpensive those glasses actually were.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've been told that since those were pretty much the default general issue eye-pro, they mostly proclaimed "I haven't been able to get my hands on a pair of Oakleys yet."
    Sounds about right - every time a new rotation comes in over here, the PX can't keep Oakleys on the shelves for the first few months.
    Mike

I've been pleased with the new Oakley M Frame 3.0 - they are more streamlined than the older M frames I had tried. The price via the US Standard Issue program is excellent for those that are eligible.

That said, Oakley seems to be moving some of the older Ballistic M Frames via the Oakley Vault - the SI Ballistic M Frame Strike Array is on sale for $99 shipped. The description states that these meet MIL SPEC MIL-PRF 31013.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 11-20-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

This is a weird thread for me. I always thought shooting glasses were to keep brass from hitting your eye.

Instead it's body armor for your eyes? Why are people planning around getting .22 short or birdshot in their direction?

I'm honestly confused as to the application here. I can see in the military, it's for shrapnel, but less on a shooting range.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    This is a weird thread for me. I always thought shooting glasses were to keep brass from hitting your eye.

Instead it's body armor for your eyes? Why are people planning around getting .22 short or birdshot in their direction?

I'm honestly confused as to the application here. I can see in the military, it's for shrapnel, but less on a shooting range.
    When I am shooting, Iam setting off a 30,000+ psi explosion in a metal tube in my hand for fun. Usually all the force of the explosion goes out the far end of the tube, but not always. Usually the projectile is safely absorbed or deflected by the backstop, but not always.

Last month, shooting steel, a cratered plate sent a piece of .22 bullet back into my upper lip hard enough to draw blood. Almost twenty years ago, a .357 Mag revolver didn't carry up properly when I cocked it slowly, and shaved a piece of jacket which promptly embedded itself just over my left cheekbone, about an inch below my left eye. I bled like a stuck pig. I wasn't wearing shooting glasses that day, but I have ever since.

Both of those projectiles probably would have been stopped by regular shooting glasses, but then neither of those projectiles was from the gun blowing up in my hand. If my life is worth thousands of dollars of handguns and training, my eyesight is worth a spending a little extra on the shades when I'm training with those handguns.

(I'm comfortable with plain old shop-rated safety glasses, but if the option is available to get more protection for the cost of a couple boxes of ammo, I'll take it.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 11-21-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Haraise, I've been struck twice at a range by fragments. As Tamara mentions, good eye pro is mandatory unless having an artificial eye is desired.

"The world is hard; your eyes are soft."
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Well. I guess this has me looking for prescription yet rated for impact glasses, now... good to know, thanks.

Well. I guess this has me looking for prescription yet rated for impact glasses, now... good to know, thanks.
    http://www.health.mil/Libraries/1108...ter-110620.pdf

The Uvex XC or Genesis with the prescription insert are the least expensive of the options listed on the APEL. Glasses run $10-15, insert is $25.
    http://www.uvex.us/uploadedFiles/Pro...C_Brochure.pdf

The Aegis and Sawfly, which did well in the Lucky Gunner comparison, also have prescription adapters available.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/wiley-x-...unglasses.html

I see the frames for the RX versions are still rated, but will the glass on the prescription be?

User Tag List