Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurora, CO "Dark Knight Rises" shooting - 14 dead, 50+ wounded 7/20/12

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Don't have any experience with it but can't a shot to the armor crack ribs/knock people down? Probably not a pistol round though, right?

I asked my father last night who is a 34 year veteran of two departments, has Investigated and interviewed many shootings and many who was shot in their body armor and many did not notice it. I didn't ask for too many specifics since it was late but I'm sure there are a dozen factors on why each incident will have a different outcome. Especially since most of these killers shoot themselves or run as soon as they engage equal or greater resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Don't have any experience with it but can't a shot to the armor crack ribs/knock people down? Probably not a pistol round though, right?
    I know of a bank robber who was shot in the chest with a shotgun slug while wearing body and it dropped him where he stood, it also left a sweet indent that probably broke the ribs behind it

Two interesting links:
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/23/a-...tack-in-denver

And another tragedy that's just weird given the conversation we've been having about gun control versus vehicle fatalities, etc:
    http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16834835

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    And another tragedy that's just weird given the conversation we've been having about gun control versus vehicle fatalities, etc:
    Ha...
    I just posted a link to that, "If only we could get high-capacity vehicles off the streets, think of the lives that can be saved!"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Ha...
    I just posted a link to that, "If only we could get high-capacity vehicles off the streets, think of the lives that can be saved!"
    So wrong and yet so right.

Here come the calls for controlling internet sales of nearly everything:
    Colo. shooting suspect used Internet for arsenal

In a world where Amazon can track your next book purchase and you must register to buy allergy medicine, James Holmes spent months stockpiling thousands of bullets and head-to-toe ballistic gear without raising any red flags with authorities.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

As a point of context; LEO's wearing body armor routinely get "stopped" by small arms fire (incidental fire, not purposely directed) as it's not uncommon for them to be struck in unprotected areas of the body. Additionally, tactical COPS (tricked out from head to toe) rather routinely get "swatted" by small arms fire - delivered by bad guys that lack firearms proficiency by any measurable standard.

I can tell you from personal experience that there is a tendency to feel like Superman with all that stuff on, but it's just an illusion. Passive safety equipment does a great job of mitigating the threat and it certainly makes you less vulnerable. But, it doesn’t make you bullet proof - just bullet resistant to some degree. Something worth remembering, regardless of which end of the stick you’re holding.
    The only thing worse than arrogance is false humility.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    I would much rather go down raining lead down on the guy than sit quietly and depend on fate to let me live. Hopefully one shot would find a crack in the armor. The way I figure at least it would distract him so loved ones could possibly flee.
    Big +1 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post

A coworker got his 2002 Ford F250 stolen a few weeks ago from here at work, seems that they followed him back from lunch and took it as soon as he went in the building. Recovered the next day with no back seats or console; it's so common here we all knew that that's how it would be found the second it went missing. The early 2000's Fords are extremely easy to break into, and make great vehicles for transporting lots of illegals, dope, or whatever. In fact you can get fantastic deals at the auctions on Fords with no back seats

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

This is some bizarre logic from Anthrax guitarist and 'gun enthusiast'. I love how the anti-gun crowd gets their token 'X' out to show the outlier.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....hrax_guitarist

Let's not talk about the outlier that is this situation, though-that wouldn't be 'fair' and 'balanced' dialog, b/c we'd be using facts then

It appears he was not wearing a ballistic vest. http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-20/j...theater-rounds

Chad Weinman, CEO of TacticalGear.com of Chesterfield, Missouri, told CNN earlier that his company had a receipt matching Holmes' name and his Aurora address.

The receipt showed that Holmes bought an $106.99 Blackhawk urban assault vest, a $52.99 Blackhawk Omega Elite triple pistol magazine, a $52.99 Blackhawk Omega Elite M16 magazine pouch, and a $77.99 Blackhawk Be-Wharned silver knife.

With shipping costs, the total bill came to $306.99, according to a copy of the receipt provided to CNN.

User Tag List