Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurora, CO "Dark Knight Rises" shooting - 14 dead, 50+ wounded 7/20/12

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Took the Brady Bunch less than 18 hours to put together a mass email asking people to sign this electronic petition:

Setting aside the undefined "terrorists," aren't the rest already prohibited persons?
    Felons and mentally ill since at least 1968, domestic violence since 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Took the Brady Bunch less than 18 hours to put together a mass email asking people to sign this electronic petition:

Setting aside the undefined "terrorists," aren't the rest already prohibited persons?
    Todd,
    You may be a highly regarded firearms expert, but you're obviously an amateur when it comes to politics. You brought up logic in an anti-gun legislation conversation
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Absolutely correct A-Z and DocGKR's note you quoted as well. There have been incidents including a school shooting in OR years ago where unarmed non-victims won the day without firearms. In the OR case it was a HS athlete - a wrestler I think (figures) that took a student shooter to the floor and disarmed him of a rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    And that HS kid was familiar with firearms and reloading pauses and knew when to attack.
    Exactly right IIRC. Wrestler took murderer down and stopped further shooting. Wrestler was shot (in the chest, I think) in the process and still got it done.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    On account of taking action in tight crowded areas, has anybody ever navigated through/with a panicked mass of people? I had to do it twice in my life, once evacuating from a plane [nothing major], and once from an arena that lost electric power. Both weren't dramatic as far as actual seriousness of situation were concerned, but both were good reality checks.
    I've done it a bunch of times, generally in buildings that were on fire. Moving against them is understandably worse than moving with them .Even with a bunch of other guys fighting our way up there stairs it's no small feat. There's no way I can see you'd do it, like if you were angling to attack a bad guy, without being immediately spotted.
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I harbor no illusions as to what my chances of successfully engaging and stopping this guy with a handgun would have been.
    There is freedom in knowing you're screwed going into a situation, use that to your advantage and step into the void.
    +1 to this mindset!

There are none so free as those who have nothing left to lose.

Of course, it's easy to speculate and puff out chests from behind a keyboard, or even just in our own minds, but there is a lot to be said for prepping one's mind to stand your ground & take initiative however you can in the apparent "no-win" scenario. A great example of this was those who acted so heroically on Flight 93. There's no telling how many lives they saved simply because they drew the line in the sand and then resolved themselves to act.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Amazing dispatchers, and "Lincoln 25" was cool and in charge.
    Yea, the dispatcher & the officers were 10-8!

From what I've read elsewhere, Aurora PD is a pretty squared away agency. I'm a little more than miffed that the officers had to ask for gas masks...reason: we aren't issued them either because "we have no need for them". PFFT!!! Typical it'll never happen here BS mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Yea, the dispatcher & the officers were 10-8!

From what I've read elsewhere, Aurora PD is a pretty squared away agency. I'm a little more than miffed that the officers had to ask for gas masks...reason: we aren't issued them either because "we have no need for them". PFFT!!! Typical it'll never happen here BS mindset.
    I agree with you gentlemen. Outstanding work in an insane incident. I feel for those officers, I can't imagine the ugliness of that scene and the helplessness of wanting to enter theatre 9 but the gas preventing entry. I had never thought about adding a mask on my active shooter rig but this has opened my eyes. If you're not issued one MSAs can be found on eBay cheap. I pray for the families, victims, and first responders. Sad day.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Apparently some dude has made national news for himself because during this incident he set down his 4 month old child and beat feet. All the way to the car. And then he got in the car and drove away.

...with his girlfriend and two small children still back in the theater. The girlfriend and a good samaritan were both wounded by the gunman as they attempted to protect the children from gunfire and get them out.

While the dad was running.

Words fail me.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Apparently some dude has made national news for himself because during this incident he set down his 4 month old child and beat feet. All the way to the car. And then he got in the car and drove away.

...with his girlfriend and two small children still back in the theater. The girlfriend and a good samaritan were both wounded by the gunman as they attempted to protect the children from gunfire and get them out.

Words fail me.
    I would expect she is an ex-girlfrind now...

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Words fail me.

I'd love to see this heavily reported on that coward...

User Tag List