Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shield Night Sights - compatible front with OEM rear?

Shield Night Sights - compatible front with OEM rear?

Does anyone know what aftermarket front night sights work with the Shield? I'm looking at the Trijicon HDs, but wondering if they are too tall / wide to work with a blacked out OEM rear.

Gracias Muchachos.

Site Supporter
    Not sure about the front, from what i've rear M&P rear sight's are two wide for the slide so i'd assume it would be the same for the front as well.

10-8 performance has some in the works with u-notch rear without tritium. Not sure on release date.

You can modify current M&P sights by removing material from each side of rear sight to fit the slide and reblue it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

I know the Ameriglo HACK will work. I spoke with Rick about it earlier this week. The only issue is the front post would fill up the rear notch that's on the Shield. Once Ameriglo releases their full sets for the Shield their rear will have a wider rear notch to give you some daylight on either side of the front post. That's what I'm waiting for. I'll prob pick up a HACK front and their plain black rear. What I've been told is their complete sets will be either all black or the iDots.

Since I'm wanting a plain black rear anyways, and have blacked my rear dots, I'm actually just looking for a compatible front. The 10-8 style M&P rear sight is good to go in my book, especially for a niche gun like the Shield.

Vol - isn't the Hack front wider than most sights?

What about the Operator or iDot front? The Hackathorn is the one sight I don't have physically to measure. I believe the Operator sits lower than the iDot, so maybe that or a standard Trijicon would work (non-HD)?

ETA: I'm not against opening up the rear sight if needed, but I'm not sure what height front is needed (can't chop down a front or build up a rear). Again, something like the HD or CAP front would be ideal, I'm just unsure if they are too tall.

Looks like the HDs fit the Shield without any overhang. So I'll probably just order those and skip the headache.

Here's some confirmation i found. I can't post pics since I'm on my phone, so here is the original thread. If posting a link is an issue, mods delete and I'll post the pictures when I get to my PC.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...sights-hd.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    Looks like the HDs fit the Shield without any overhang. So I'll probably just order those and skip the headache.

Here's some confirmation i found. I can't post pics since I'm on my phone, so here is the original thread. If posting a link is an issue, mods delete and I'll post the pictures when I get to my PC.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...sights-hd.html
    The HDs rear will overhang but the front will fit. I researched it yesterday as I had found a almost new set on a local board for a good price and checked to see if they'd work. I found pics online of the overhang and it was enough to drive me nuts. (look at the 4th and 5th pic in the OP of the link)

Not sure if the M&P front post width would be different than the GLOCKs (suspect not) but if same it's .140 wide. That's the min width Ameriglo can do the tritium vial and orange paint. At least that's what Rick to me a while back.

I can't recall the widths of the iDots off top of my head but they are taller than the other sights Ameriglo offers by a hair, thus making them not compatible with other rears.

Really sounds like S&W didn't hit their mark with "accessories available upon release"... Also curious about the HD front with the stock rear, could be a stop gap solution.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Really sounds like S&W didn't hit their mark with "accessories available upon release"... Also curious about the HD front with the stock rear, could be a stop gap solution.
    I've only tried HDs on a GLOCK once. I seem to recall they were taller than other GLOCK sight setups. I suspect the HD front might be too tall for the stock Shield rear but that's just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    The HDs rear will overhang but the front will fit. I researched it yesterday as I had found a almost new set on a local board for a good price and checked to see if they'd work. I found pics online of the overhang and it was enough to drive me nuts. (look at the 4th and 5th pic in the OP of the link)

Not sure if the M&P front post width would be different than the GLOCKs (suspect not) but if same it's .140 wide. That's the min width Ameriglo can do the tritium vial and orange paint. At least that's what Rick to me a while back.

I can't recall the widths of the iDots off top of my head but they are taller than the other sights Ameriglo offers by a hair, thus making them not compatible with other rears.
    BUMMER!

Looks like the iDots and Hacks use a 0.140" front. So I found this front on the Ameriglo website...

SW-800-230T All M&P Models (except Pro & 'L') .230" .130" Classic green $50.00

It sounds like it would work with the OEM rear. But of course it's the ONLY front sight that is Sold Out.

I think I'll call Rick on that particular sight. I'll just paint it something bright, and open up my rear if need be. Make a bubba U-notch rear. :-)

User Tag List