Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

Todd, I consider the barrel to be a consumable on a high round count handgun or rifle. Ask SLG how many rounds some precision rifles are good for.

Interesting question -- I assumed 9mm would be easier on the pistol than .45, but perhaps 9mm, especially +P is harder than .45 on a 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Todd, I consider the barrel to be a consumable on a high round count handgun or rifle. Ask SLG how many rounds some precision rifles are good for.

Interesting question -- I assumed 9mm would be easier on the pistol than .45, but perhaps 9mm, especially +P is harder than .45 on a 1911?
    Why? 9mm operates at 30ksi, 45 at 20ksi (roughly).

45 barrels, especially when shot with lead, last forever. 38S, when shot at major, will go 10k or so before accuracy starts to drop off (well, for match standards anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Why? 9mm operates at 30ksi, 45 at 20ksi (roughly).

45 barrels, especially when shot with lead, last forever. 38S, when shot at major, will go 10k or so before accuracy starts to drop off (well, for match standards anyway).
    Bill, how much wear is a function of pressure and how much is a function of recoil? It seems like barrel life clearly relates to pressure, but is wear and tear on the upper and lower as much from the recoil/momentum working against it?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bill, how much wear is a function of pressure and how much is a function of recoil? It seems like barrel life clearly relates to pressure, but is wear and tear on the upper and lower as much from the recoil/momentum working against it?
    Depends on the part.

Slide-frame fit: depends almost entirely on lubrication. A "thick" polyurea grease (000 or 0000 viscosity) applied at least every couple hundred rounds will keep that like new for many thousands of rounds. A cracked frame is usually a material flaw.

Extractor: mostly on chamber pressure.

Rifling: velocity/pressure

Locking surfaces: pressure

After all, the recoil from a 9mm and a 45 aren't actually all that different or great. It just feels like it to some.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    For now my plan is to shoot the gun until the Heirloom arrives, then begin testing the Heirloom gun.

As for the SACS/Warren gun's ultra long term durability, I'm not as confident as you. The slide is already showing signs of deformation around the slide stop notch again. But most of all I wouldn't count on the barrel to go 250k rounds and for previous tests the "main components" that determined the gun's service life were frame, slide, and barrel. I know rebarreling a gun isn't considered a big deal, especially for 1911 aficionados, but since it's normally a considerable percentage of the overall gun cost that's the standard I've established for the tests.

If my schedule allows, I may try to get some accuracy testing done on the barrel tomorrow. That will be a good indicator as to wear over the first 50,000 rounds... much of which was +p ammo and much of which was leadfree ammo, both contributing to accelerated barrel wear in normal circumstances.
    Has that deformation been discussed and I missed it?

We are diminished
    I know the answer to the first part is yes so presumably so is the second.

We are diminished
    I am officially a gunsmiff now: fitted a 10-8 flat trigger (size the shoe, set overtravel, and adjust the bow which was binding on mags) and a Wilson 7B extended slide stop. Tomorrow I'll find out if it all works.

I am officially a gunsmiff now: fitted a 10-8 flat trigger (size the shoe, set overtravel, and adjust the bow which was binding on mags) and a Wilson 7B extended slide stop. Tomorrow I'll find out if it all works.
    Damn, you must be planning to stick with these silly 1911 pistols for a lot longer than another 50,000 rounds, as you are taking that "must be able to work on your own 1911" thing seriously. Next, you will be probably heading to a 10-8 1911 course, followed by building your own 1911. Maybe then, throwing out a shingle for Todd's custom 1911 shop.

We are diminished
    I'll be running a special next month: recoil spring and firing pin spring replacement, $900.

I'd do a 10-8 course if there was one nearby. In the meantime, I'm trying to cajole Jason Burton into a day's "lesson" if I pick up my Heirloom gun at his shop in person.

I'd do a 10-8 course if there was one nearby. In the meantime, I'm trying to cajole Jason Burton into a day's "lesson" if I pick up my Heirloom gun at his shop in person.
    I've been hoping a 10-8 course would pop up in the area as well, and even emailed Hilton a couple of times about it, but nothing has been scheduled as of yet. Im sure if we could stir up enough interest, he'd be willing to entertain the idea... Let me know if you have any other guys that might be interested.

Looking forward to hearing your review of the new parts!

User Tag List