Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

Next up:

FLGR
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post

FLGR
    Good one, and an example where I both hate the thing itself and the clumsy abbreviation. Next: FCS.
    Ignore Alien Orders

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    "MSH" = How us cool 1911 dorks refer to the "mainspring housing". It's like a secret handshake; shows you're in the club.
    I meant "where" in relation to "where you mentioned" ... didn't know whether that meant the breakage reported on the blog (which was explained in the blog post as the MSH pin) or somewhere else. But thanks.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim
    Next up:

FLGR
    In the gunsmithing shack at CCA, there were others:

The FLGR (which I always pronounce so it sorta rhymes with 'vulgar') is referred to as "the jammer". Accessory rails on the frame are "the greater mangler", while FCS are known as "the lesser manglers".
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    (which was explained in the blog post as the MSH pin)
    This is my derp face.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I meant "where" in relation to "where you mentioned" ... didn't know whether that meant the breakage reported on the blog (which was explained in the blog post as the MSH pin) or somewhere else. But thanks.
    Yes sorry. I was asking if the breakage you mentioned ws the same as in the earlier blog post at around 18,000+ rounds.

Recoil Spring Weight

Todd,
    I am following this test with great excitement since I am both a huge 1911 fan and becoming more and more of a 9mm 1911 fan. I'm sure it is mentioned somewhere in the 41 pages, but without searching, what weight recoil springs are you using and have you experimented with various weights and/or standard versus variable springs? Thanks!Rew
    "I'd rather be lucky than good any day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
    Todd,
    I am following this test with great excitement since I am both a huge 1911 fan and becoming more and more of a 9mm 1911 fan. I'm sure it is mentioned somewhere in the 41 pages, but without searching, what weight recoil springs are you using and have you experimented with various weights and/or standard versus variable springs? Thanks!Rew
    He has used different weight recoil springs, and it appears he has had the most success with a 14lb variable recoil spring. This was based on a recommendation by Jason Burton.

You can read his blog located here. Report #7 is where he made the change to the 14lb variable, which means he's been running that weight for roughly 9,000 rounds based on his most recent report.

I've been very interested in this test as I have a 9mm Nighthawk GRP and Colt Government in 9mm as well. I've had great success with the Nighthawk in the 2280 rounds over 11 range sessions I've gone shooting with it. I haven't shot the Colt yet. I also have a 9mm CQB from Wilson Combat on order that should be ready when I arrive home from this deployment. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    He has used different weight recoil springs, and it appears he has had the most success with a 14lb variable recoil spring. This was based on a recommendation by Jason Burton.

You can read his blog located here. Report #7 is where he made the change to the 14lb variable, which means he's been running that weight for roughly 9,000 rounds based on his most recent report.

I've been very interested in this test as I have a 9mm Nighthawk GRP and Colt Government in 9mm as well. I've had great success with the Nighthawk in the 2280 rounds over 11 range sessions I've gone shooting with it. I haven't shot the Colt yet. I also have a 9mm CQB from Wilson Combat on order that should be ready when I arrive home from this deployment. Hope that helps.
    Yes sir, that helps a lot! I actually just bought a used Nighthawk AAC model in 9mm which is why I was asking. Do you know what weight spring is in your Nighthawk GRP? I called to ask them and the guy said 10lbs which seems way too light. However, I shot 200rds through it right after taking possession the other day without any problems. I just don't want a spring that's too light to beat up the gun! I saw your mention of getting back from deployment. Thank you for your service and God speed on coming home safe!
    "I'd rather be lucky than good any day!"

We are diminished
    Thanks, Timbonez! Correct, I'm using a 14# variable.

Last night it shot 124 +p HST, 124gr M882CF (1,230fps), 115gr Blazer, and a few rounds of super soft 115gr Federal -- over 1,100 rounds total -- with no trouble.

User Tag List