Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New IPSC Canada CZ Shadow

New IPSC Canada CZ Shadow

So on Thursday I picked up my new IPSC Canada CZ Shadow. This is a special version (Maple Leaf engraved grips) of the new 2012 Shadow that CZ has produced. This gun retails for nearly double that of the regular Shadow, but includes, aluminum grips, competition hammer, stainless guide rod, shock buffs, 3 different recoil springs, 3 different hammer springs, spare firing pin spring, original grips, 3 mags with aluminum bases over the plastic base, a fitted case, competition FO rear sight, and the big one for me, hand fitted slide, barrel and frame.
    I will admit I was skeptical about the cost of the new gun, the Shadow is already a phenomenal gun, and I've got close to 200,000 through the 3 I have now. But upon inspection of the gun at the store (Reliable
    Guns in Vancouver BC), I have to say I was shocked.
    The grips,
    Name:  ns010.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  62.0 KB
    nice,
    rear sight,
    Name:  ns018.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  82.8 KB
    gonna take some getting used to,
    the trigger, yeah needed a 85 Combat trigger (which is what the guns will be shipping with in the future), plus it was a bit gritty, the hand fitted components?
    Name:  newshadow002.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  99.1 KB
    Name:  ns003.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  33.7 KB
    wow, wow, wow. I've only ever seen this level of detail in custom 1911's. Now I know anyone out there with a custom 1911 is going to not believe this, but the fitting is as good as and better than most I've seen, and I worked for a custom 1911 builder years back. Sure for 3 times the price you will probably get a nice SV that's better done, but it won't be that much better, at least not to me.
    Oh and did I mention the finish? not the typical paint job the Shadow gets, nor the bright polish blue the Tyc one got, this is a flawless matte blue (I think it's bluing, but to be honest I'm not sure), it's not paint, that I know. The interior is as nicely done as the exterior. They hand select the frames so they are all flawless, and the machining is just beautiful.
    But the hand fitting, my god, when you take the slide off, it will not allow any twisting or misalignment, if you don't pull it straight and level, it won't budge. When assembled though, it's smooth, so smooth.
    Was I shocked enough to think it was worth the $1500 price tag? Still not quite there. But then I took the gun to the range on Friday. 200 rounds in about 45 minutes, and wow, yeah, most accurate 9mm I own. I ended that session with 10 rounds rapid at 7yds on the 1 inch square of a Pistol-training.com target, .35 splits (so not rocking, but not taking my time either), even with the somewhat gritty trigger (yeah it's already smoother) and the biteyness of the trigger, I pulled off the following,
    Name:  ns019.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  52.5 KB

I am very happy with that. End result? yeah I do think this gun is worth it. I am now about 900 rounds into the 2000 round challenge and no issues at all. The initial 200 rounds won't be included in the challenge as I swapped out the trigger and lubed the gun in that area when I did the work. I prefer the older style 85 Combat trigger as it's not as curved and doesn't bite my finger like the Shadow one does. They are supposed to be switching to this trigger for all future Shadows (as told to me at the factory in June). I am totally in love with this gun.
    Last edited by Slavex; 07-15-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

meh, only allowed 5 pics, so here are the rest, insert them into my above post as you please
    Name:  ns011.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  ns013.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  64.2 KB
    Name:  ns008.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  45.1 KB
    Name:  ns007.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  82.3 KB
    Name:  ns005.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  76.9 KB
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I guess it's the hockey fan in me, but I really dig that maple leaf (even if your border gaurds are dicks to us Alaskans).
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Sweet shooter. I will be getting a CZ one of these days.

I love my comp hammer SP01, although it doesn't get the volume my M&P gets. I hope to get a Custom Shadow from CZCustom when they become available.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Site Supporter
    I definitely want to try it. How is the trigger reach compared to a CZ75?

That thing looks pretty awesome.

I'm a huge Shadow fan myself already, and my proletarian factory ones have been incredible, almost hard to imagine getting extra spoiled by what a hand-fit example might deliver.
    In my hands, they have shown themselves to be the most accurate 9mm's I've ever shot after having tried just about everything, and just like all of my CZ's they have been Glock-like in reliability (older 3rd Gen works-correctly-like-they-used-to Glock-like).

(Only a tuned-up STI Trojan 9mm I had could match them in accuracy, nowhere even close in reliability though).

I kind of want one, you know, if they made a 'merikah version. For some reason the Shadow has had my attention for a while now.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I would say that target you posted would be more indicative of impressive user skill than a super accurate pistol. That's not to say it's not also very accurate.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    I love my comp hammer SP01, although it doesn't get the volume my M&P gets. I hope to get a Custom Shadow from CZCustom when they become available.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    http://czcustom.com/CZ75_SP01_SHADOW_CustomShop.aspx

Just sayin.....

User Tag List