Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The validity/usefulness of "torture tests"

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Is there actually an advantage to not cleaning your guns, other than "now I don't have to spend any time cleaning my guns"?
    Is there actually an advantage to not changing the oil in your car every 200 miles other than "now I don't have to spent any time changing my oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I've shot my M&P's in classes and training sessions for up to 2,000 rds without cleaning. Your gunsmith would probably tell me I was destroying the ozone layer or something.
    Yeah, the whole thing was prompted because I'd just run my M&P through a 2KRC for the hell of it.

I'd find another gunsmith.
    This was actually on another, small forum. I've actually heard the guy does good work, but, yeah, that conversation would be enough to turn me off, unfortunately.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Is there actually an advantage to not cleaning your guns, other than "now I don't have to spend any time cleaning my guns"?
    No, and all else being equal there is probably some truth to the idea that a well maintained gun will run better and/or longer. A filthy gun shouldn't be a badge of honor any more than it should be a badge of dishonor.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    No, and all else being equal there is probably some truth to the idea that a well maintained gun will run better and/or longer. A filthy gun shouldn't be a badge of honor any more than it should be a badge of dishonor.
    That said...........for a rifle, particularly one that has MOA type accuracy, the fact that people DO NOT know how to properly clean said firearm can, and does lead to scratched and permanently damaged bores, crowns, chambers, etc., which will promptly begin to degrade accuracy, which will worsen over time.

"I learned to clean my rifle in the (Fill in the blank)" crowd are generally the worst offenders. Especially the Marines. Cleaning a firearm until they are nickel in appearance may satisfy the white glove rifle inspection, but has little practical application. The fact that the services still use multi-section cleaning rods made of metal screams that they have no real clue as to what is necessary to maintain accuracy. That type of cleaning will prematurely erode accuracy and barrel life faster than simply blazing away and letting the fouling sit.

Since I have to travel a lot, and often unexpectedly, I do tend to at least wipe things down, especially if it is something I don't shoot as often as I should, or would like. I am admittedly a "hobby shooter", so I own and shoot a variety of guns. However, for the guns I consider to be "working guns", they will usually get cleaned on January 1st when I replace light and optic batteries, wipe down and re-lube everything in the safe, and watch football.

For the actual "work guns", they get cleaned every two years, unless they get wet. If they go in the drink, they get a cleaning. Beyond that, they get cleaned when it is time for their inspection and passed on to the next guy. I just see no need to get all USMC about it and clean it simply for the sake of cleaning it.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Well, tpd223 did say he was on a Kel Tec forum.
    This is where I have to admit to owning a sub2000.

It's a neat little gun, and that forum can be useful if you can stand the signal to noise ratio.

Polymer framed service handguns aren't meant to be treated like a date to the spring formal.
    Well, I guess that depends on how you think dates to the spring formal should be treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M
    Cleaning a firearm until they are nickel in appearance may satisfy the white glove rifle inspection, but has little practical application.
    Witness the awesomeness of bores in old Swiss rifles. Only the squad leaders were issued what we consider a cleaning kit, and it was only used infrequently (i.e. once a year or before long term storage). Routine care of their bore after shooting was nothing more than greasing the bore, and then swabbing out the grease right before your next range session.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Witness the awesomeness of bores in old Swiss rifles.
    Is that to say that they are good or bad?
    I really have no idea.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I really have no idea.

They're superb.....most Swiss K31 rifles have bores that look new, yet they were shot often. Most surplus K31 rifles can hold 1 MOA with standard surplus Swiss GP11 cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I really have no idea.

I love mine.

User Tag List