Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apex Tactical's Glock Extractor prototype video...

I will be buying several when they become available.

Today I performed the 1911 Extractor Test with three pistols, a 2006 M&P9 w/ Apex FRE, a 2004 G17 OD and a 2008 M-prefix G19 with Tula 115gr ammo. The G17 has never had poor ejection with any ammo, the M&P9 did before the Apex FRE but hasn't had a single ejection/extraction problem since and the G19 has erratic ejection including BTF. Both Glocks failed the test but the M&P9 threw the (non-brass) brass at 3 o'clock five or six feet. I then tested all three pistols with the magazine inserted and got okay to pretty good ejection with each.

I'm still debating whether to try the White Sound HRED and 30274 ejector or buying the Apex G FRE first. Each route is getting mixed results from everything I've read. I will most likely try the HRED and 30274 ejector first as I can get them and some other spare parts in one place and pay one shipping payment.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerStripe View Post
    Today I performed the 1911 Extractor Test with three pistols, a 2006 M&P9 w/ Apex FRE, a 2004 G17 OD and a 2008 M-prefix G19 with Tula 115gr ammo. The G17 has never had poor ejection with any ammo, the M&P9 did before the Apex FRE but hasn't had a single ejection/extraction problem since and the G19 has erratic ejection including BTF. Both Glocks failed the test but the M&P9 threw the (non-brass) brass at 3 o'clock five or six feet. I then tested all three pistols with the magazine inserted and got okay to pretty good ejection with each.

I'm still debating whether to try the White Sound HRED and 30274 ejector or buying the Apex G FRE first. Each route is getting mixed results from everything I've read. I will most likely try the HRED and 30274 ejector first as I can get them and some other spare parts in one place and pay one shipping payment.

I had the HRED before testing the prototype and it seemed to eject more forceful but not change the trajectory to much for me. After about another 400 rounds of successful testing, I eventually grabbed a production unit and slapped it in the same Gen 4 G19 that I carry daily. I've only shot a few hundred rounds through the production unit but I feel confident in it and carry it daily. I'm still breaking in a Gen 4 G17 and will figure out if I'm going to put the prototype unit in it or not.

can you combine the hred and apex fre together? I really need to tighten the tension more on my gen 4 extractor

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post
    can you combine the hred and apex fre together? I really need to tighten the tension more on my gen 4 extractor
    I will be testing this soon but hope to get some input from others that have.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by justintime View Post

It made it too tight for me personally, there is a pad on Apex's extractor that can be slightly filed to increase tension.

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/ind...g-fre-fitting/

Apex Glock Extractor (G-FRE) Fitting

The Apex FRE-G was designed as a close tolerance drop in part. Due to tolerance variations from slide to slide, minor adjustment may be necessary. As a safety precaution, ensure that the firearm is unloaded. After removing the original extractor from the pistol, check for any carbon build-up or debris that may have accumulated between the extractor and the extractor channel of the slide. Excess fouling between the slide and the extractor fitting pad can affect proper fit.
    After installation, the first step is to check for proper tensioning against a cartridge. With the slide removed from the frame, insert an empty case or dummy round underneath the extractor claw from the bottom of the slide. You should feel slight resistance as the case moves the limiting tab of the extractor’s engagement surface out of the way. Once the resistance is overcome, there should be some measurable tension being applied by the extractor’s vertical engagement edge to the cartridge. A dummy round should remain suspended by the inward force of the extractor.

More in the above link...

Last edited by Savage Hands; 09-05-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've been beta testing one of Randy Lee's new Glock extractors for the past couple of weeks. It's installed in an M series frame 3rd Gen G-19 that has displayed quite a few extraction/ejection issues over its service life, to include multiple reversed inline stovepipes, deep set stovepipes and erratic ejection patterns.

I'm going to continue testing for at least a few thousand rounds, but this part looks very promising. The fact that the new extractor appears to be a machined bar stock part instead of a casting inspires lots more confidence to me. I intend to buy a bunch of these for upgrades and replacements when they are in full production.
    Your M series G19 sounds like mine, although mine ran fine up till it hit about the 1200 round mark and then things went to crap.

I used a 2006 make Glock extractor and an HRED to get the gun running and it has been fine since, however it won't pass the "acid test" at all. I'm really interested in this new part.

I got mine shipped very quickly from time of ordering. APEX is a professional shop.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I will be testing this soon but hope to get some input from others that have.
    I might try it as one last step before I get the ejection port lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    I had the HRED before testing the prototype and it seemed to eject more forceful but not change the trajectory to much for me. After about another 400 rounds of successful testing, I eventually grabbed a production unit and slapped it in the same Gen 4 G19 that I carry daily. I've only shot a few hundred rounds through the production unit but I feel confident in it and carry it daily. I'm still breaking in a Gen 4 G17 and will figure out if I'm going to put the prototype unit in it or not.
    Are you running the HRED with the G-FRE or the Apex extractor only?

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Your M series G19 sounds like mine, although mine ran fine up till it hit about the 1200 round mark and then things went to crap.

I used a 2006 make Glock extractor and an HRED to get the gun running and it has been fine since, however it won't pass the "acid test" at all. I'm really interested in this new part.
    Your recommendation of the HRED (plus 30274 ejector) is one of the positive reports that steered me toward going that route. Would you still recommend the HRED as a fix?

User Tag List