Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty

Hornady Critical Duty

I read an article this weekend about this Ammo. The author "claims" that it has passed "all" FBI penetration tests. I've read other comments about the Hornady Critical Defense round, but nothing about the Critical Duty round.

How stringent is this test? Is there any way to verify their claim? How might one find out about independent testing and would it be necessary if the ammunition actually has passed FBI penetration tests?

I've got some Speer Gold Dots that are on their way, 124 +P and 147 grain. I am going to test multiple rounds to find the one that my pistol likes before deciding what to use as carry ammo, just wondering if Hornady Critical Duty is worth testing. I know they make some nice hunting ammunition, I also recognize hunting ammo and carry ammo aren't the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

I'm interested in trying some but can't find any.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Given the comments around Critical Defense, and the well known, well tested Federal HST Bonded and Winchester Ranger Bonded, it's hard to make a case for buying Critical Duty (which I think is just bonded Critical Defense) when there are proven options that do the same thing. Ditto for Critical Defense. Even if they were equal in tests, the price should make it easy for you. Critical Defense is around $25 for a 25 box of 9mm, I just bought some HST 124 gr +P for $23/box of 50 at a local LE shop, and it can be had for $28 or so online. Even after S/H that's still cheaper than Critical Defense at your local retailer or online.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Federal HST, while a great projectile, is NOT bonded; Federal Tactical and Speer Gold Dot are ATK's bonded handgun projectiles. Likewise Winchester Ranger-T is not bonded, but Win Ranger bonded obviously is...

As soon as the HST 124 +P is back in stock I will have a box of it as well as the 147 shipped to me. I will also shoot some Ranger T before deciding on which one to carry.

The fact that the Hornady only comes in boxes of 20/25 bothers me for two reasons; 1. it costs twice as much and 2. it makes me wonder if it is truly designed with LE in mind.

I was mostly curious about the FBI test procedures and if the claims were/could be verified.

Keith

Critical duty is a 50 round box, at least the stuff we have is. On a side note some 124 HST and gold dot +p will probably be on our web page later today.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Critical duty is a 50 round box, at least the stuff we have is. On a side note some 124 HST and gold dot +p will probably be on our web page later today.
    I don't see the Critical Duty listed on the site. I've been waiting for y'all to get the HST in +P back in stock. I will order some tonight when I get home (if it is up on the site). Thanks for the heads up.

Keith

The 147 +p is going to be a no go for some time just FYI. Federal raised the prices on only it, substantially, and are distributors are not ordering any in protest until its lowered again. As an aside we aren't really selling the critical duty to anyone until we see independent testing that shows it passes FBI standards. Doc has a box from us I believe he will be getting to shortly.
    Last edited by Sparks2112; 03-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Good information. I look forward to the review.

Critical Duty Tested

Received four boxes of the new Critical Duty 9mm 135gr +P round from Midway USA ($22.99/box - 20/box). Fed fine through my G19. I "test" my carry ammo by shooting into 4 gallon jugs of distilled water at 15 feet from first jug. The Critical Duty round went through all 4 jugs and I couldn't find the slug. This is the only defensive round I've ever shoot through this "test" that went through all 4 jugs. tnoutdoors9 who puts his tests on youtube tested this round through gel and got a 16.75" penetration (4 layers of denim) with 0.52" expansion. Little too much penetration and expansion for my tastes. Conclusion: I'm staying with my Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P round (13.5" penetration with 0.75" expansion).
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZFZFmBKa0"]

User Tag List