Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detained for Open Carry Portland, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I have seen more and more LEOs with very small video cameras mounted on their head/shoulders. Like a much smaller contour roam.

I reckon this is the future, and its a great thing for all.
    I carry one in my pen pocket. More of our officers are buying them as well. The one I have isn't real great, but it's been useful a few times already in the few months I've had it. Loaned it to others going on calls where they might need it (we have some mental people that like to accuse us of assault and rape when we deal with them).
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I carry one in my pen pocket. More of our officers are buying them as well. The one I have isn't real great, but it's been useful a few times already in the few months I've had it. Loaned it to others going on calls where they might need it (we have some mental people that like to accuse us of assault and rape when we deal with them).
    I'm curious about this. Do the officers do this with the support of department policy or is policy silent on this type of personal recording? What is done with the video once it has been recorded? Is there a policy on the preservation of this video?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    I'm curious about this. Do the officers do this with the support of department policy or is policy silent on this type of personal recording? What is done with the video once it has been recorded? Is there a policy on the preservation of this video?

Thanks
    That's a good question. We decided to record on our own. Policy does not require it other than our in car cameras (if they work). I burn the recordings to a disk (if there is a pending criminal charge and the prosecutor need it for discovery issues) and to our network hard drive. If there is no criminal charge it just goes on the hard drive.

Recordings turned in would have to follow the retention schedules required by state law.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

from Zhurdan:
    After that, it was on to why I didn't dim my lights (which I wouldn't think is an offense that warrants being pulled over, but that's besides the case)
    As a FWIW, failure to dim headlights is one of the cues looked for to indicate a drunk driver.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    As a FWIW, failure to dim headlights is one of the cues looked for to indicate a drunk driver.
    Interesting. Won't need that tip, but interesting none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I suspect, however, that promotion of gun rights isn't really the primary cause in some cases.
    A suspicious person might even speculate the possibility of an attention whore endeavoring toward some form of sad and pathetic perceived fame. But, I'm not one to judge.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I have to say I was hesitant to click on this thread and see the responses, as I have seen some other, far less reasonable responses concerning things such as this. I also believe that people doing things such as this are looking to provoke, gain attention and probably a reason for a lawsuit, and I can not see its doing anything other than further divide those on either side of firearm rights. I'm relieved to see reasoned responses here.

I have had quite a few interactions with police officers and, while a couple have been absurdly bad, most were courteous and professional, mainly as I was honest, polite and understood most of them were simply doing their jobs. I also come from a law enforcement family, which provides a lot of perspective. (If you're wondering why I've had quite a few LEO interactions, I used to regularly gig as a musician as well as take photos and write for tourism bureaus and the like, so I spent quite a few late nights / very early mornings out, which leads to some suspicion, particularly in smaller towns).

User Tag List