Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not too happy with Aguila ammo...

Not too happy with Aguila ammo...

I picked up about 2k rounds to fill out my training ammo that is mostly comprised of Sellier & Bellot (115 gr). Although they are nearly the same price at about $200/1k rounds, I have never had a problem with S&B, but I just had to share the 4 separate, but exact same issue that occurred in the last month with the last case of Aguila (124 gr).

Forgive my newbness, but I think these 4 rounds were over pressurized or something, b/c the brass swelled and stuck in the barrel and looked like a double feed at first glance, but after dropping the mag and trying to strip the round again, I literally had to disassemble my P30 and use my leatherman set of pliers to take the case out of the feed ramp.

Here's what it looked like:

And here's what the casing looked like:

I can't see anything other than the lead build up on the case from being over expanded, but I'm a total newb when it comes to ammo.

Anyone knows better than me, so feel free to explain this stuff to me or simply take this as a warning.

Lastly, is this happening 4 times out of 2k rounds worse than other 'not-so-good' manufacturers??
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Huh. Something's definitely not right there.

FWIW I've run 2600 rounds of Aguila 124 in the past couple of months, and the only problem I've had was a single round failing to detonate. Deep primer strike, but no boom. 2100 of those rounds were run during a 2KRC, so I'd have expected to see misfeeds like this, if I was going to.

I have shot over 20,000 rounds of Aguila 124 just in 2012, and can't remember a single bad round. Just bought another 8,000 rounds last week. It has been accurate, reliable and clean -- is my favorite practice ammo.

I had a problem with a bad round of AE 115 ball, similar to what ou experienced, in the one case of 1,000 of that load that I have shot this year.

6000 rounds of aguila here... not a single failure to date.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    Huh. Something's definitely not right there.

FWIW I've run 2600 rounds of Aguila 124 in the past couple of months, and the only problem I've had was a single round failing to detonate. Deep primer strike, but no boom. 2100 of those rounds were run during a 2KRC, so I'd have expected to see misfeeds like this, if I was going to.
    I also had a couple dud primers out of 2000 rounds ordered through SGAmmo.com when it was going for cheap at $182 per case.

For anyone looking at the picture and not familiar with the HK P30, do be aware that HK's have a stepped chamber. This causes a distortion as the front 1/3 of the chamber is slightly tighter than the rear. So, that part is normal.

I don't usually have spots of powder on the case as shown in the pics, though. Maybe that's a result of it being stuck inside the chamber until it was cooled off.

I would certainly list overpressured ammo as a suspect. Is this your P30 or P30L? If the former, how many rounds have you put through it? From hanging around at HKPRO.com, the two biggest things I've noticed as problems that slip past HK are tight chambers and out-of-spec extractors. That isn't something I can support with data, just something I've noticed from people coming online saying their stuff ain't working, it going to HK, and the customer reporting that HK either replaced the extractor or cited a tight chamber. So, if you haven't shot too many out of the P30, I would shoot some more of other brands, or at least a different lot # of the Aguila. Remember how you were having stoppages with the P30 the last time I was shooting with you? That would lead me to suspect the gun if this post is about your P30 and not the L.

Couple thousand rounds of Aquila 124 thru my M&P this year with no problems.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

3k through my Glocks and no problems here.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I also had a couple dud primers out of 2000 rounds ordered through SGAmmo.com when it was going for cheap at $182 per case.

For anyone looking at the picture and not familiar with the HK P30, do be aware that HK's have a stepped chamber. This causes a distortion as the front 1/3 of the chamber is slightly tighter than the rear. So, that part is normal.

I don't usually have spots of powder on the case as shown in the pics, though. Maybe that's a result of it being stuck inside the chamber until it was cooled off.

I would certainly list overpressured ammo as a suspect. Is this your P30 or P30L? If the former, how many rounds have you put through it? From hanging around at HKPRO.com, the two biggest things I've noticed as problems that slip past HK are tight chambers and out-of-spec extractors. That isn't something I can support with data, just something I've noticed from people coming online saying their stuff ain't working, it going to HK, and the customer reporting that HK either replaced the extractor or cited a tight chamber. So, if you haven't shot too many out of the P30, I would shoot some more of other brands, or at least a different lot # of the Aguila. Remember how you were having stoppages with the P30 the last time I was shooting with you? That would lead me to suspect the gun if this post is about your P30 and not the L.
    It was the P30 and not the 'L', so I'll have to keep an eye on that. As for the ring, that was definitely lead from the chamber that stuck to the casing when I pulled it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

About 400rds of Aquila 124 9mm through my new HK USP so far with no issues.

4 issues out of 1800 rds. All the same issue. Maybe just a bad lot mixed in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List