Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting 2 hits under 2 sec. to the 3x5 at 7 yds ??

Todd/Others do you find that the speed of your press-out, insofar as the speed from when the sights are brought to alignment right in front of your face all the way to the point of full extension, changes appreciably between drawing on a 3x5 vs say... a higher probability target such as an 8" circle?

(Perhaps a better way to word this would be; Does the "horizontal" speed of the press-out change much as the target gets harder?)
    Last edited by jstyer; 06-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

We are diminished
    Yes. Otherwise you end up at extension before you're ready to break the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post
    Todd/Others do you find that the speed of your press-out, insofar as the speed from when the sights are brought to alignment right in front of your face all the way to the point of full extension, changes appreciably between drawing on a 3x5 vs say... a higher probability target such as an 8" circle?

(Perhaps a better way to word this would be; Does the "horizontal" speed of the press-out change much as the target gets harder?)
    Yes... shooting a 3/4" dot at 5yds takes a more refined / slower press out than an 8" circle at the same distance. You have a certain amount of distance for the press out, so the only way to get more precision is to allow more time to perfect the sight picture.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 06-09-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: oops, did not refresh the screen and see Todd's reply
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Yes. Otherwise you end up at extension before you're ready to break the shot.
    Think... then type. Should be my motto.

Thanks for your words as well CCT.

I'm thinking I might just start running repeated reps on different size and position targets from the compressed high ready... Reviewing some video, it's the horizontal speed that is killing me.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post
    Think... then type. Should be my motto.
    Not really. As the level of difficulty of a shot increases, it becomes harder to do a "pure" press-out. Practicing the press-out, you try to break just before, at, or just after extension. Any time that doesn't happen, I recommend aborting the shot. But if someone were charging you with a machete and your press-out was less than perfect, you wouldn't stop and reset.

Even if a particular shot is too tough for a particular person, presenting the gun while aiming and manipulating the trigger means there should be less correction, less time, and less chance of error if you do need refinement once you get to extension.

Banned
    The common wisdom from the likes of Max Michel, Rob Leatham, et al, is to not change the speed of the draw depending on the difficulty of the shot. Get the pistol up and out fast, prep the trigger, but don't break the shot until the sight picture dictates it.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    The common wisdom from the likes of Max Michel, Rob Leatham, et al, is to not change the speed of the draw depending on the difficulty of the shot. Get the pistol up and out fast, prep the trigger, but don't break the shot until the sight picture dictates it.
    They don't do a press-out though.

If doing a punch-out/four-step or whatever you would call their type of draw, then it makes sense to not change the speed of the draw. Kyle Lamb and the folks at TigerSwan teach the same thing (not to change the speed of the draw regardless of the difficulty of the shot).

Banned
    The op didn't mention a press out in the first post, and I don't think a press out is the only way to get two hits on a 3x5 card at 7 yards.

The press out is an interesting technique, but I don't think it helps anyone to draw dogmatic lines in the sand when it comes to technique. Justy opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    The op didn't mention a press out in the first post, and I don't think a press out is the only way to get two hits on a 3x5 card at 7 yards.

The press out is an interesting technique, but I don't think it helps anyone to draw dogmatic lines in the sand when it comes to technique. Justy opinion.
    I've never used a press-out, my index draw is MUCH faster.
    http://thedownzerojourney.wordpress.com/

I think the further you get from just grabbing the gun and putting it on target, the worse off you are. I think one should practice by telling your body that you want to align the sights inside some apparent target area and letting it figure out the rest. Stop trying to control everything - Inner Game of Tennis style. That's how I feel. YMMV.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

User Tag List